Get on the air now! A guide to your first Amateur Radio station.
- Select radios and antennas.
- Explore operating modes: voice, Morse code, digital and more.
- Assemble your station.
Have your license? Get radio-active! Now you can get on the air with confidence. Here, in one place, is help getting started in just about any ham radio activity.
- Your First Radio. Advice on choosing a transceiver and power supply that fits your budget and operating style.
- The Antenna--The Most Important Part of Your Station. Practical information to help you choose and install economical, yet effective, antennas.
- Propagation--The Science of How Signals Travel. Get the most from your station by understanding how HF and VHF signals travel.
- Using Your Voice on the HF Bands. Advice on making your first voice contacts.
- Code Conversations. Advice on using Morse code on the air.
- The Digital Universe. How to set up a station for digital operating.
- Chasing Contacts and Wallpaper (awards). Enjoying the sport of on-the-air contesting. Also, earning awards such as DXCC, WAS and more.
- FM: "No Static at All." How to operate FM on the VHF and UHF bands (including repeaters).
- "Weak" Signals and the World Above 50 MHz. Operating SSB, CW and digital modes above 50 MHz.
First edition, second printing. © 2006, The American Radio Relay League, Inc.