ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Antenna Field Planning

Jun 12th 2014, 02:43

KE0AVC

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
New HAM here, looking for direction, advice etc on how to plan the placement of multiple antennas. I have two towers coming, a sky loop planned as well as various dipoles an inverted L, 2 meter and an Explorer 13 beam.

Is there a resource to help place them for best usage and least interference?

Thanks,

Andre`
Jun 12th 2014, 12:24

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.w8ji.com/contest_station_w8ji.htm

This page shows Tom, W8JI's contest station. He has one set of antennas permanently aimed at Europe--if you want to win a DX contest you want to work as many Europeans as possible. The best place to put a second tower is in the side null of the European beams.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Jun 12th 2014, 16:11

KE0AVC

Well that is a bit over my needs! Not to mention I'm no contestor. Nor do I have that kind of space. Did I not mention I am a NEW HAM?

Thats a dream field...how about something more suited to a beginner? Is there a reference book in the store that helps plan antenna placements?

Andre`
Jun 12th 2014, 18:47

W1VT

Super Moderator

Quote by KE0AVC
Well that is a bit over my needs! Not to mention I'm no contestor. Nor do I have that kind of space. Did I not mention I am a NEW HAM?

Thats a dream field...how about something more suited to a beginner? Is there a reference book in the store that helps plan antenna placements?

Andre`

I've not seen a book that addresses your needs--given my particular set of constraints, what is the best antenna system that I can put up? Everyone has a different set of problems and needs--which means that it generally isn't possible to copy someone else's idea of the best antenna system.

Most hams are lucky to put up one tower, much less two.

Tom's layout shows a very useful rule of thumb--to minimize interaction you should place antennas in the null of other antennas. True, many times you can't do that, as you run out of space.

There has been a trend away from lots of single band antennas to one or two multiband antennas--even with stations that intend to use two or three bands simultaneously. These stations will use triplexers to use a single triband antenna with a triplexer to route the signal to three different radios. With fewer antennas, there is less interaction to deal with. Multiband antennas are more practical today--as remote tuners and even remote tuning is becoming quite practical today.

I've also come to realization that many hams place too much emphasis on low line loss--after all, I want my signal to be as loud as possible, don't I? Well, I think you should place lightning protection as the top priority, and give a lot of consideration to receive performance. For many hams, placing the antennas some distance from the shack may result in a better tradeoff between transmit and receive performance than if the antenna were right next to or above the shack.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Jun 12th 2014, 20:57

KE0AVC

Thank you! Thats some helpful info.

KE0AVC

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn