ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Reverse Class D Exemption from Field Day

Reverse Class D Exemption from Field Day
Please login to vote!
Jun 29th 2014, 14:57

AA1PR

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Reverse Class D exemption from Field Day

D stations do not receive credit for other D stations

as we seen in Haitai there was only one ham from his home that was able to provide emergency radio support, a perfect example

hams are not going to flock to remote locations when their families could possibly be in need, they will remain home

it makes no sense to deny any station the point for working another station, they have no advantage over any station on battery, mobile or emergency power in most cases

& by doing such we are excluding those such as the disabled/elderly etc that can only operate from home a fair score in this contest
May 1st 2015, 16:07

K3BLN

I agree. Class D should receive credit for all contacts. In most cases it is impossible to know the class of station calling cq. The effort and time to complete the contact is the same! WB3ESR
Mar 11th 2016, 21:59

AA1PR

Thanks
I see there has been no other comments besides ours
Jun 2nd 2016, 12:00

AI4BJ

That's because this particular event is called Field Day, not Home Day! :-)

Seriously, the rules for Field Day have been set up to encourage portable/field participation using emergency power sources. Awarding points for home/home contacts made using normal commercial power entirely defeats this purpose. This would be analogous to, for example, allowing credit for NY <> FL contacts during the California QSO Party.

Don't forget about class E. Disconnect your rig from your A/C power supply and run it from a battery or generator, and you'll get credit for every station you work!

Mark AI4BJ
Jul 1st 2016, 04:13

W6US

Class D and E should also be limited to 100 watts. Most of the stations out in the field are running that power and it will allow for a more balanced propagation situation.
Jul 1st 2016, 12:30

aa6e

Class E running on a generator, batteries, or whatever is a good test of your actual emergency capability at home, in line with FD's purpose, I think. If you allowed full credit for class D, there's the potential that people would start treating FD as just another contest. (There's already too much of that, IMHO.)
Sep 12th 2016, 23:12

ND6M

Quote by AI4BJ
That's because this particular event is called Field Day, not Home Day! :-) ... edit

I agree 100%!!!

... and it's not a contest either.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn