ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

HOAs have their own Union!

Aug 6th 2014, 15:31

K4KYV

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
...and their opposition to HR4969 is up and running:

"...CAI opposes H.R. 4969 and we are speaking with Members of Congress to help them understand why H.R. 4969 should not become law. Further, we will be engaging membership around the country to let members of U.S. House of Representatives know that we oppose H.R. 4969 because we support the preservation of the community association model of allowing neighbors to create reasonable rules for their neighborhoods."

http://www.caionline.org/govt/advocacy/regulatory/Pages/HamRadioOperation.aspx

Call to Action: Protect Your Association's Rules and Standards, Tell Your U.S. Representative to Oppose H.R. 4969
http://www.caionline.org/govt/news/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=112
Aug 13th 2014, 03:57

tuulen

If the airwaves are partly in the domain of licensed amateur radio operators, as a licensed form of public property, then the central question seems to be as to how or by what authority a non-governmental body such as an HOA could limit or regulate access to such public property. And if the airwaves could represent radio communication as being a form of speech then perhaps freedom of such speech could be represented by Amendment I to the US Constitution (the 1st Amendment).
Aug 22nd 2014, 13:00

kk4ggl

You can post comments on HR 4969 on CAI's Facebook page, if you also have a Facebook account.
Oct 8th 2014, 17:18

N4AAB

I have never been impressed by HOAs. My property is mine, not theirs.

Jim/N4AAB new vanity license. Oct 8, 2014, still General class.
Oct 8th 2014, 20:30

aa6e

Right, but if you signed a contract? That's the problem Congress is dealing with (or should be) -- reconciling property rights, public interest, and the "sanctity" of private contracts. Hams have a better argument for the first two. Your neighbors may be focusing on the third.

73 Martin AA6E
Oct 9th 2014, 16:37

N4AAB

My opinion is that HOA contracts are just nosey people pretending to have other homeowners' 'look of their property' in mind.

Some of my relatives went to buy a house, and were told thety had to buy their fence, but were required to get a fence, from the HOA. They said 'isn't that a conflict of interest ?' and were told if they continued to question the HOA, the police would be called.

HOAs seems like a nut group to me.

While it is possible some HOAs are nice people, I've never heard of such a HOA version.
Jan 30th 2015, 08:36

K7BED

I agree to a certain extent about the "good" HOAs do for the community but honestly for them to restrict the installation of antennas other than for Satellite TV or wireless Internet (similar to Satellite internet) is beyond my comprehension. *What if* all the communities in the world were HOA and all restricted antennas, then nobody would be able to use Amateur Radio. It's sad, in our HOA we are not allowed to even use those antenna-hiding flag poles!

But I have to admit that our neighborhoods look very nice and well taken care of (for the most part).

But yes, it's overly restrictive and for the good that Hams do each and every day I believe Federal law about not restricting Amateur Radio antennas should be enforced. Of course I don't necessarily want a giant 50 foot tower in my neighbors yard but a few typical antennas is not going to hurt my "view" of the area. But of course, I could be bias.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn