ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

HTX-202 back up battery

Mar 22nd 2016, 20:49

wd6ejn

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I recently got the message er-2 on my Radio Shack htx-202 handie talkie.
I assumed this was the same message I got 8 years ago and changed the memory backup battery.
When I replaced the battery I got the message in the window er-1.
Perhaps it wasn't the battery.
The manual was stolen out of my storage locker some years ago so I had no instructions on how to turn the radio on again.
I fear the tiny wire connecting the battery under the lcd display is broken and there is no way to fix it.
I tried every thing, holding different buttons and turning radio on, holding buttons the placing battery on base.
It appears toast! I can't believe it I have had so much luck with this radio over the years.
Mar 28th 2016, 16:11

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.qsl.net/wb3gck/htx-202_err1.htm
Every time I powered it up, I got the dreaded "ERR1" error. This error condition is indicative of something wrong with the internal memory. Sometimes, something just gets temporarily out of whack in there and you can clear it by simultaneously pressing the "Function" and "D" buttons while powering up. In my case, the ERR1 condition showed up every time I powered up. This is usually a sure sign that the internal memory backup battery has bit the dust.
Mar 30th 2016, 18:47

wd6ejn

It's not the battery!
When I opened the case the first thing I did was check the (second battery I replaced with a holder 8 years ago) voltage which was 3.01v and the + battery lead looked soldered.
Since the battery was ok it must have been something else.
I had to pull the shield up to look under as I thought the + lead must be broken.
I couldn't get the shield loose as the tiny sheet metal screw was blocked by the ptt button GLUED! in place.
With the new battery (3.5v no load) in place I couldn't get the screw that holds the speaker and the shield on tight.
Unless the factory battery was attached elsewhere then soldered to the shield as I had done, this caused an intermittent over the years.
There was even a plastic tape insultating the shield from the ground!
I could not get the screw under the ptt switch so I left it out.
I placed a star washer between the speaker mount and no 4 sheet metal screw.
I almost had a heart attack when the display went on indicating 144mhz! after what I had been through.
I think soldering the negative lead to the rf shield (unless I did this) was a factory goof.
Mar 30th 2016, 20:11

W1VT

Super Moderator

Did you perform the reset in an attempt to clear the ERR1 issue? It was unclear as to whether you know the proper reset procedure.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn