ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

over the air antenna failure

Aug 21st 2018, 22:10

ae9de

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have a TV antenna in my attic connected to the set in my basement which used to work fine. Now the TV says there is no signal source. I have revised my connection to the small 300 ohm to 50 ohm transformer which connects the antenna to the coax and tested the coax for shorts with none found. I see no visible damage to the antenna, the transformer or the coax, other than the center lead on the coax seems short to me. My question is how long does that wire need to be to assure a connection with the transformer? I thought maybe lightning had hit it and burned off the tip of the center conductor but I see no evidence of a burn and after taking the original transformer apart, those wires which are much smaller caliber are still intact. I'm puzzled for the failure to provide a signal to the TV.
Aug 22nd 2018, 08:10

AB3FN

Many over-the-air TV stations are changing frequencies, as a result of spectrum changes. I'm not sure, but believe this process has already started and will continue for the next couple of years. Perhaps there is no problem with your antenna or cable, and you just need to rescan to receive on the new frequencies.
Aug 22nd 2018, 11:15

WA0CBW

If you are talking about the center conductor sticking out of an "F" connector it should stick out no more than 1/16th inch.
Bill
Aug 22nd 2018, 21:47

ae9de

I have rescanned the channels and contacted the Samsung tech support. It currently is maybe 1/16-1/8inch visible above the level of the plastic dielectric in the cup if the connector - it doesn’t reach the rim . Is that long enough to make contact with the female side of the antenna transformer ?
Aug 24th 2018, 23:17

WA0CBW

It should stick out 1/16 beyond the rim. You should be able to locate the center pin in the female receptal before engaging the threaded capture nut.
Bill

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn