ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

ham open club wi fi

Oct 15th 2019, 12:21

wd6ejn

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have been using wi fi for several years now as I can not afford cable or cell phone.
A building went up recently (see google earth) between me and wi fi.
Although I can still see the wi fi network !! on my tablet, the signal may be coming through the ac line (bpl) but I don't know and the other hams don't know either they all have smart phones.
I have seen tp link ? that just plugs into the ac like a wall wart, I wonder if this is the wi fi ? I don't know why this would be efected by the condo project though.
I am using an aux antenna jack for my antenna so all I would have to do if find a wi fi amplifier I have googled for hours and cannot find one has to be diy kit though as cannot afford fancy item.
I'm at -90db on wi fi anylizer, all I need is -86 to connect again.
Oct 15th 2019, 13:52

W1VT

Super Moderator

Why not use a better antenna? A higher gain antenna is a really good solution for a fixed point to point link.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Oct 21st 2019, 16:46

wd6ejn

It's already about 5 feet long! I must have 20 loop elements on it, but the signal goes away when I use the inboard antenna.
No one else can get this network on a smart phone or laptop!
I seem to know what I am doing when it comes to antennas although not this.
I added 10 more 30 millimeter diameter (d 21-d 30) copper loops and made the spacing closer probably a mistake, now the signal is even harder to find, could be adding another wall and scaffolding increased the value of my faraday shield/cave.
What I really need now is a tp link repeater/extender with a 50 foot ethernet wire brown color to match the outside wall, I want on e with a n aux antenna jack so I can make one of my invisible beam.

Apr 11th 2020, 18:47

WA8NVW

Now that you've had some time to reflect on things, you should realize that theft of WiFi service is a felony defined within the DMCA. A legitimate WiFi owner-operator is not required by law to electronically protect his network from unauthorized users.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn