ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

EZ-HANG LEGAL IN NY?

Nov 22nd 2011, 23:48

WA2UJX

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have been using a home made wrist supported slingshot (with fishing reel attached to the lower rail) to place antenna lines into my trees for years. Recently another Ham saw my rig and suggested I should be careful because in NY State this kind of slingshot (super-whamo) is illegal. EZ-Hang product is advertised in the Amateur Mags and I wonder if it is legal in NYS. Does anyone understand the NYS law as it pertains to using this kind of rig as a tool for a Federally licensed Amateur Operator? Thanks Carl WA2UJX
Nov 22nd 2011, 23:55

aa6e

Same question for CT! Slingshots could be dangerous, true, but they seem a lot safer to me than the bow & arrow solution.

An enterprising legal researcher could dig up the info for all 50 states, but legality may also vary by city.

73 Martin AA6E
Nov 23rd 2011, 13:57

W1VT

Super Moderator

Outdoor Bunker, a supplier of hunting supplies, has this handy list
http://www.outdoorbunker.com/v/restrictions.htm

You may want to visit your state/city websites to see what the laws actually say--sometimes it is just the purchase that is illegal, not the possession of said items.

New York state 265.01 says
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth
degree when:
(1) He or she possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic
stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal
knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles,
metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type
slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

Nov 25th 2011, 21:42

WA2UJX

I thank the responders for their ideas but I still am left in LIMBO. I suppose I can contact the Sheriff's Dept. and the NY State police and I bet they will say "...it is left to the discretion of the Officer..". Oh Well - Onward. Carl W2AUJX

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn