ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Teaching amateur radio to elementary school students

Feb 9th 2012, 22:01

K1DMJ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
In response to an inquiry about teaching amateur radio to 3rd-5th grade students, the following response was given in an email from Nathan McCray K9CPO, ARRL ETP instructor, and is posted for discussion here.

I am a fellow educator and your name was directed to me about how I teach 3rd - 5th grade students amateur radio and getting them licensed. I have been very successful in licensing students at the grade level. I have licensed a few dozen students over the past 10 years. My approach is pretty simple. I do the following:

1. I use the instructor guide for whatever license we are pursuing 2. I put together a PowerPoint for each lesson (I teach one lesson per
week) that brings some of the material down to their level (See attachment).
Note, I tweak my lessons based on the knowledge level of my students. It is very different from year to year so personalizing the lesson is very important.
3. The students read a section of the technician book each week and they are encouraged to take practice tests and to study all week long. I ask them to give me at least 30 minutes a day outside of school to do this.
4. I give them a quiz on things I cover that day and for previous material covered
5. Whenever I am teaching I use a ton of hands on activities
6. When they start getting 90% of the practice tests correct I schedule a test with our local VE's.
7. I have learned not to underestimate how much the students can learn!
8. I stay positive all the time!!!

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn