ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Longwire 600 ohm terminating resistor HB

Aug 5th 2012, 22:23

0001582470H80

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
In the past I, have used nichrome wire from heating elements of waterheaters,electric stoves,ovens and toasters during experiments of terminating longwires. I have had some success but, without equipment to obtain 600 ohms I, made due with a low budget electronic measuring device,VOM.Doubling back the resistor wire was my attempt of creating a non-inductive resistor of the homebrew nature. Any hams with better ideas than I obtain can respond and I'll listen. THX 73 n0mzr
Aug 6th 2012, 13:00

W0BTU

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
There was an interesting article in QST a few years ago (don't know where) about a guy who made one using a plastic pipe partially filled with salt water.

Immersed in the saltwater were two stainless steel rods. You adjust the resistance by how much salt is dissolved in the water and the length and spacing of the rods.

I think he had it hanging from the end of a rhombic or longwire.

There was a tiny vent to prevent pressure buildup, and IIRC, it would handle the legal limit on most modes.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn