ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

20 vs 10?

Oct 29th 2012, 13:17

W3ULS

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
In my setup, I'm limited to one band at a time, and to low power. I see that east coast contestants in the CQ WW SSB contest over the weekend reported excellent results on 10 meters. I found plenty of activity listening on 20 meters, especially Europeans and N and S America, Caribbean, etc. I heard but one VK, and one weak JA (I think).

Looking forward to the CW part of the CQ WW contest next month, when I plan to operate, would I be better off tuning up on 10 meters (assuming similar conditions) rather than sticking with 20, considering my limited antenna and low power? In the good old days, 10 meters allowed worldwide contacts with very little in the way of equipment, and I'm wondering if it's coming back to the level of propagation where I could benefit?

John, W3ULS
Oct 29th 2012, 14:19

W1VT

Super Moderator

Yes, 10M is likely to be the better band, provided you can operate during the daytime. 20M would be better if you could only operate at night.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Nov 20th 2012, 12:08

WP2XX

You should also keep in mind that 20M is liable to be a zoo. Packed with wall-to-wall signals. You may find that getting a word in edgewise is darn near impossible. There's a lot of space on 10M, but propagation can be iffy.

It's a trade-off.

How quickly can you change your antenna?

73 de Bob WP2XX

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn