ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

retransmission of frequency

Nov 4th 2012, 17:18

n2nlm

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
There are a few of us hams that talk on a frequency that we consider our "home" frequency. Is it legal that this frequency be monitored by a scanner and then retransmitted on the internet on a personal web site? We are finding some hams dropping by and interrupting our QSO and critiquing our conversation. Just wanted to know if the retransmission was legal. This is through a scanner to a private web site and not echolink.
Nov 5th 2012, 00:19

KB0HAE

Hi. It is my understanding that t is legal to monitor the frequency, but not to disclose what was heard to a third party. I would think that would include playing recordings via a web site.

You should check the laws in your state, as well as FCC regulations.
Nov 5th 2012, 12:55

n2nlm

Thanks for your info, will check it out. 73
Nov 5th 2012, 16:03

W0BTU

Doesn't Commcat, http://www.myqsx.net do something like that?

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com
Aug 4th 2013, 09:38

KB0HAE

Hi. I know that years ago it was legal to monitor via a scanner, but not to disclose any content to a party that was not listening at the time. However, that may have changed. Thats why I advised n2nlm to check things out. If the retransmission is real time, it is probably legal.

I have to say that reguardless of legalities, that hams interupting and critiquing is definetly rude and obnoxious!
Aug 9th 2014, 16:20

K4KYV

> It is my understanding that t is legal to monitor the frequency, but not to disclose what was heard to a third party.

That may be true with commercial two-way communications, but it does not apply to amateur radio. AR communication has no expectation of privacy, and anyone is free to record, publish or re-transmit via internet, anything heard over the air without any restrictions.

I would be more careful about re-transmitting the signal over the air however, particularly regarding callsigns and station IDs, and making sure it is clear what is being re-transmitted and what originates from one's my own station.

Re-transmitting another ham's signal over the air might open a can of worms best left closed but I could see no problem re-transmitting it over the internet.
Aug 13th 2014, 13:07

N0NB

I concur with K4KYV with regard to streaming over the Internet. Various Web SDR sites have been doing just that for several years. Part 97 covers the issue of over-the-air retransmission, but that doesn't seem to be the OP's question.

73, Nate
N0NB.us

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn