ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Grounding Antenna

Jul 21st 2015, 20:57

kd9bvr

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I’m putting in a 30 foot vertical antenna and plan on putting 60 50 foot radials.

The question that I have is that I assume I should drive a ground rod into the ground at the antenna and connect the radials to the ground rod as well. I also assume that I have to bond the ground rod to the ground rods coming for the main electric as well. To bond the grounds together can I run the #6 wire through the conduit that I ran from the antenna to the house or should that be outside of the conduit?
Jul 22nd 2015, 14:03

W1VT

Super Moderator

https://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/NEC-HTML/HTML/Article810RadioTelevisionEquipment~20030110.htm
This web page says that not grounding a mast can damage equipment on the mast via induced currents.

It is most important to bond the single point entrance panel for shack to the electrical service entrance. This will allow lightning to safely travel from the service entrance to either ground.

Putting the ground wire in the conduit will protect it from mechanical damage, but otherwise there is no requirement to do that. The NEC permits either bare or insulated ground wire.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Jul 22nd 2015, 17:02

kd9bvr

Is it ok if run the bonding wire in the same conduit as my coax?
Jul 22nd 2015, 17:07

kd9bvr

Also one thing I have to mention is that my vertical is about 50 to 60 feet from my house. I’ve read that I may have to drive a ground rod every 16 feet or so and bond them, but that seems a bit excessive. It would be much easier if I can bond the two grounds by running the wire through the PVC conduit that I have my coax going through.
Jul 22nd 2015, 19:18

W1VT

Super Moderator

There is no prohibition against putting a bonding wire and coax in the same conduit, but there is one for putting coax and 120V AC on the same conduit.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn