ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Durability of Handheld antenna SMA sockets

Sep 29th 2015, 11:25

2E0ECN

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have a Yaesu VX-6E, and one of the features I appreciate it is is wide range receiver.

If I substitute its short antenna with a longer one, I can not only get local broadcast VHF stations, it also does a decent job on shortwave stations too.

I have two conflicting dilemmas: If I continually swap the stubby VHF antenna (essential for cycling with the radio) with a longer one for broadcast VHF, and an even longer one for shortwave, the SMA connector is going to rack up duty cycles - I understand SMA is rated to around 500 connect/disconnect cycles.

An attractive solution is to dedicate the VX-6E to portable VHF (leave the antenna on permanently), get another handheld, either another VX-6 or perhaps VX-8, and put a long antenna on that.

This introduces my other dilemma: I'm happy to have a second HT with a long antenna permanently attached (so, no cycling with that one!), but if I am to avoid the wear and tear problem, what is a practical way of transporting such a radio and protecting the antenna from damage ?

Hope this makes sense !

Mark
2E0ECN
Sep 29th 2015, 13:54

W1VT

Super Moderator

This has been an issue for decades--the typical solution is called a "connector saver," a short male/female adapter.

Adapter, SMA-F to SMA-M - Mini Circuits
www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/SF-MQK50+.pdf

Zack Lau W1VT
Sep 29th 2015, 16:54

2E0ECN

Thanks Zack,

I never suspected such a thing existed, but in retrospect they would given how long the problem has been around.

I've located a UK source, thanks again.

Mark

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn