ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Getting Started

Apr 17th 2016, 12:58

KD2JRI

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Howdy all,
Just starting out and know enough to hurt myself. My question is what would be considered the best all around Base Station, Mobile and Handheld? I'm looking to avoid my normal hobby entry mistakes of buying radio X and then when I learn a bit more realize it doesn't do xyz and now I have to upgrade to radio Y. Not that money is no object but I also try not to buy cheap....So is there a base station and mobile and hand held that handles most to all bands. ( Going for my Extra Class next month.) Is powerful enough and so on. Got into astronomy several years ago and have 5 telescopes now....the first 4 in the progression never make it out to the field because I kept buying bigger and better. ( I donated them to the local Boy Scout summer camp Astronomy Program). Trying to avoid a repeat. Same goes for the universal antenna. I know I'll make some sacrifices on some bands but there has to be one that works moderate to good on all bands. Thanks. Not sure what area of Ham will be my focus so kinda looking to lay the groundwork of being able to try all aspects before I settle in one direction or another.

Thanks!!
Apr 30th 2016, 23:48

WB8ZTP

William – (KD2JRI)
I like the Yaesu-897 but it’s been upgraded to the FT-991. HF is 160-6 Meter and it has a built in antenna tuner. Also covers the VHF 2 Meter / 70 cm bands. http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/3991.html I have a Cushcraft R8 Vertical antenna which does a great job. Check out my QRZ.com page (WB8ZTP) for the run down on my shack and equipment. If you have any more questions just find my email address on the page and send me a message. 73, Mark WB8ZTP
Apr 30th 2016, 23:51

WB8ZTP

KD2JRI - I forgot to mention I just bought a Celestron 9.25". I would love to pick your mind on that subject. Go to my QRZ.com page to get my email address. 73, Mark WB8ZTP

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn