ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

QST for iPad?

Sep 9th 2011, 22:46

K3EP

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I recently downloaded an App from National Geographic that allows me to download my subscription to my iPad. You still get both the hardcopy via USPS and an electronic copy (NatGeo doesn't offer an electronic only subscription ... yet). And it made me think ... why can't I get QST that way? I travel a lot for the Department of Defense and after receiving my iPad from my XYL (K5VBH) I rarely take hardcopy books or magazines with me anymore. I now read all the major magazines, plus any number of books on my iPad ... except QST. I'm not advocating doing away with paper books and magazines; I still enjoy holding a good book to read. But if this 53 year old QCWA member can transition to electronic reading why can't my ARRL?
73 de K3EP
Sep 12th 2011, 00:41

aa6e

The ARRL Board Minutes published in Sept. QST give approval to developing a digital version of QST. There are a lot of options for how to do that. For myself, I'd be happy to receive a simple PDF copy of each issue -- just like you get with the annual ARRL publications CDROM. Proprietary "apps" for iPad, etc., aren't so attractive to me.

73 Martin, AA6E
Sep 12th 2011, 13:31

N0NB

I agree with Martin. PDF is a long established format that has viewers on practically every computing platform. Publishing an electronic QST to any other format greatly limits its availability.
Sep 14th 2011, 15:44

KQ4B

Add my vote for PDF!

But, having said that, there still could be a reason for an IPad/Tablet app. I would prefer that the files remain on the server unless I decide to download and store them. Being able to manage my subscription and to search the archive are other functions that could be included.

Larry, KQ4B
Sep 15th 2011, 01:44

KB0HAE

I also would like to see QST available to members in an electronic format. As an ARRL member with vision problems, it would be nice to be able to get QST in a format where I could read it in white texrt on a black background as well as control the font and font size used. PDF files would probably not allow that. Still, I could live with PDF format.

Another option would be to allow members to read QST online.
Sep 15th 2011, 17:45

N0NB

Most PDF readers allow zooming in to some very fine detail (600-800%). I have used that feature to read a scanned schematic that would have been next to impossible to see if printed out. A lot of PDF readers will allow printing the on-screen area once zoomed in.
Sep 16th 2011, 04:13

aa6e

On the other hand, you have some web sites (like the ARRL Forum) where they use gray type on a gray background!
Sep 18th 2011, 19:00

KB0HAE

@AA6E I don't know about other web browsers, but Firefox allows you to over-ride the colors and fonts/font sizes used on web pages, and choose what is easier for you to read. I use black background, white text, Times New Roman font at 16 points. I just wish all applications would use my chosen system colors/fonts.
Sep 22nd 2011, 23:03

K7RBE

How about PDF, iPad and Kindle? I too travel, and my Kindle goes with me everywhere. It isn't like having several formats is going to break the bank. Once it is electronic run a couple of conversion programs and submit them and all is done.
Sep 26th 2011, 14:37

KB0HAE

Kindle and ipad can't handle PDF files? I do not own either device. I do own a much less expensive (and DRM-FREE) ebook reader. It lets me read pdf files just fine. I understand that both kindle and ipad are supposed to handle PDF.

Maybe this topic should be restarted as a more general thread, like "QST IN ELECTRONIC FORMAT?"?
Oct 4th 2011, 00:18

vkupiec

Ipad handles PDF's beautifully, as does the iPhone.
Oct 14th 2011, 04:20

AA7TA

I don't think the Kindle will do PDF but the Nook will...it's much less proprietary. I'd love to see QST in PDF. And other ARRL publications in PDF and/or E-book.
Oct 17th 2011, 20:40

aa6e

The Kindle does OK with PDFs, but you have a hard time reading a full size document on a 6" diagonal screen, despite being able to zoom in. I have the complete ARRL Handbook on my Kindle 2 in PDF. It's not exactly fun to read in that format, but it is sometimes handy.
Oct 18th 2011, 13:39

W1VT

Super Moderator

Hi Martin,

Do you think it would be worth the cost to have the schematics and drawings re-drawn for better viewing in a small format? Part of the cost is that anytime you re-draw something, errors are introduced.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

Oct 18th 2011, 18:30

KD7UIH

I also do a lot of traveling. I receive a number of publications in pdf format. It would be great to add QST as well. I really don't like to take all sorts of hard copies with me. Everything in one place on my iPad would be great.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn