ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Question on 80Mtr Mini Beam Elements

Mar 25th 2017, 06:02

KG6INX

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I'm severely restricted as to antenna installation. In a 2 story house, surrounded by same, rented, small back yard, mostly cement. Terrible vertical performance, radials are almost impossible with all the cement. No roof access/mounting permitted, red adobe type tiles. Surrounding trees barely 10ft high, dwarf fruit. High to very high winds, summer high temps, Mojave desert.

I'd like to run this up the flag pole for you antenna guru's.

I have been mentally toying with a design of a light weight mini beam using thick wall PVC 1" OD 4ft center to end each half element. Director, radiator, and reflector. I believe if the antenna is light enough I could do a 15-20ft tilt up mast without going outside the triangular back yard

My idea is to use a 1/4 wave length of #16ga copper wound in coil fashion but spread to occupy each element half. I thought of this seeing a CB hand held with a flex ant on Ebay. This coil element type has been used on handhelds verticals and center loading verticals. Thought this may give me a bit more performance

One haunting issue ....the distance between elements along the boom.....is there a way to reduced element spacing possibly via added inductance or someway to satisfy.

Thanks, 73's
Jack
KG6INX
Mar 25th 2017, 20:11

AI4BJ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I'll let others chime in on your question, but will simply make the observation that the phrases "80M" and "Mini-beam" are seldom seen in the same sentence. :-)

Mark AI4BJ

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn