ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Tyying to understand parallel dipoles.

Jul 22nd 2017, 14:32

AC2MM

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hello,
I have looked through all my ARRL books on parallel dipoles for this answer, and can't locate the answer to my question.
I am very impressed with the quality of the Alpha Delta product line, and I must say up front that the people to whom I've asked this at Alpha Delta have really tried to answer my questions, but I still don't understand. (probably age )
They make a multi-frequency product called their DX-EE, which allows you to use 40/20/15/ and 10 M bands, all using parallel wires (with separators) coming to a common feed point at the center. What makes this product different is it's use of coils on the 40M line, reducing the overall total length to a little over 40 ft. This is ideal for those whose space is limited, and this is what this product is marketed for.
So I wrote a letter asking them if they would make me a similar product using all their top-quality materials, but without the coils and making the 40M top line a full 1/2 wave 66 ft long. They replied that although they don't, at this time, make custom versions, that it would not work unless I used the fan dipole method which is also found in various ARRL publications. This is what I don't understand.

Using their Current DX-EE product design, the parallel wires apparently cause no coupling or resonance problems. Yet when I want to remove the coils and go to a 1/2 wave version on these frequencies, I now will have an unworkable situation unless I use the fan dipole techniques. (which I can't do in my new back yard)

The only comments I have been able to find, on EHam I believe, that this type of design narrows your usable range, whereas using the standard 1/2 wave technique broadens the usable range for a low SWR.

Will someone please explain why I can't use two wires connected to a common feed point separated to construct a parallel dipole for at least 40M and 20M bands without using these coils?

Thank you,
Robert
Jul 23rd 2017, 10:17

WA0CBW

How does the Alpha Delta differ from the fan dipole other than the loading coils to shorten the 40 meter band?
Bill
Jul 24th 2017, 15:18

W1VT

Super Moderator

The same wire is used for both 20 and 40 meters. There are additional dipoles connected in parallel for 15 and 10 meters.

Adding coils to a dipole shifts the harmonic resonances of that dipole.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn