ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Rookie antenna tower questions

Apr 9th 2018, 13:52

WoodyBlue

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Gonna be using a hand me down TV Tower. Specifically, American Tower Special Series tower. Currently have 20' of good solid tower sections. (2x10') the third section is cut off where it went into the concrete base. Looking to us that section to fabricate a tilt base and add at least another 2 good new 10' sections, maybe. Total tower height of approx. 40' before the antenna mast. Bunch of YouTube video on tilt up towers, some more redneck than others, LOL, but looking to install this next to my residence. I live out in an unincorporated area so no HOA, Thank God.

Also up on a pretty good ridge with a LONG distance view so no real obstructions to speak of.

Mostly all Dual band stuff around me but will eventually get into HF. I am a Tech by the way.... probably obvious.

Need at least 30-35' to clear the peak of my metal roof on my log home.

I have so many question I really don't know where to start. I really wish I could post pics here to show the terrain and set-up I am looking to do. I hope my description is good enough.

First, am I barking up the wrong tree? I would like the tower to be free standing, no guying. I would like it to be lower able on the tilt base for future expansion and maintenance as well as bad weather/high wind protection.

Suggestions on my ideas please.

John
KY4BSL
Apr 10th 2018, 10:42

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/Towertalk
This mailing list has searchable archives if you wish to study what hams have posted about this topic.
Apr 30th 2018, 09:19

WA8NVW

Commercial steel towers with 12" face (such as Rohn 25) are ionly SS to 30 ft above ground or house bracket under current building codes. If you don't mind replacing everything and repairing your roof after a summer storm with 60 MPH wind gusts, go ahead as planned. But for safety, by all means consult a structural engineer familiar with communications tower design.
Guying offers longer-term survival along with opportunity to support HF wire antennas and small VHF beams..

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn