ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Never say never

May 23rd 2018, 11:44

N0CHS

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hi all-

Something (sadly) that I've noticed when perusing various amateur radio webpages is many times hams reply to a technical question with, "never works" or "don't do it. Its a waste of time."

I am sure nothing mean is meant by these comments and sometimes a "don't do it..." keeps a ham from damaging equipment or their own person!

However; if it comes to questions especially about how a certain antenna will work, I see, many times, "It won't work" or "You won't be able to DX with xxx antenna."

Antenna design, heigth, direction and power are based on soooo many variables, the best answer from 40+ year practicing hams is, "It might work but if you CAN try this results might be better..."

All I'm asking is when it comes to amateur radio, there are few things that are encased in rock so why insist they are?

Be safe!
w0dbb
May 23rd 2018, 11:54

N0CHS

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I just realized I mis-stated the comment about 40+ hams lol.

What I meant was most old timers avoid being concrete in their replies to tech questions. I am blessed with being surronded by old timers who suggest versus telling.

w0dbb

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn