ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Extra Class Vanity Nonavailability

Oct 13th 2018, 12:47

0006024559H80

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
After diligently pursuing my Extra Class license, I had hoped to get a vanity call that is commensurate with it. It appears that the FCC restricts the availability of non active calls based on some kind of doled out process. Getting a 1X2 or 2X1 call is now a game of chance based on when a group of calls becomes available, and if you don't apply on the day of availability, you lose automatically.

Even if you do apply on the day of availability, it is a crap shoot between you and any number of others for the few calls available.

This seems to be a deliberate process of restriction aimed at those who put forth the effort to get that highest of Amateur Radio goals.

I have also noticed that the league is silent on the subject. With nearly 50 years as a Life member, I find it very disappointing.
Oct 13th 2018, 20:45

K2NS

I have been an extra for over 34 years and kept my original novice call (KA2IIA) until 2 months ago. I figured that after those 34 years, I deserve a shorter call. I put in application after application for almost 2 years. Finally after 8 failed applications, I lucked out and got my current call. Not 1 of the calls I applied for were awarded to someone in the 2nd call district---They were spread out over the whole country. The first one I applied for was K2RG---Those are my initials. That one went to a guy in the 4th district who DID NOT have those initials---I was furious---I was the only applicant with the initials RG. Unfortunately, the current FCC process is the only way that is fair to all the applicants for a currently available call. The only complaint that I have is that anyone in the lower 48 states can apply and get a call from any of the 10 call districts. I'm in the 2nd district and got a 2 call. Why would I want a 7 or 8 or 5 call ??? I wanted something that represents my location. Evidently, other people don't care.

If you are not aware of it yet, there is a website devoted to getting a 1x2 or 2x1 call. It has a lot of info about the process and info about harvesting SK calls. It is AE7Q.COM

RON....K2NS
Oct 17th 2018, 08:45

N2RJ

It’s basic supply and demand. The number of Extras now greatly outstrips supply of desirable vanity calls.

You can report SKs as you see them to the FCC and their calls become available once the FCC confirms, retroactive to 2 years post the date they became deceased. You’ll need a copy of the obituary which is usually available online. But even then it’s a lottery type system because the calls are available to anyone and the FCC computer simply picks a random one. With websites telling you what’s available expect many applicants.

I don’t see what the league can and should do here.
Apr 12th 2019, 07:35

N4AAB

I went with a 1x3 vanity call when I got my General. Kept it when I got my Extra. 1x3s are much easier to get.
Apr 29th 2019, 00:48

W1AMA

Same thing - I applied for W1GC, didn't get it - my application was a day early but there were multiple applicants.

Having been N1AMA from 1979 until 2015, when W1AMA came up. I wanted an "old geezer's" call and a 1x3 with a W was it.

As a youngster (pre-ham) I always passed by a garage in Hampton NH, where there was a car with W1GVC - my full initials - but - it isn't that good of a CW call.

So I'm not upset and don't need a rare 1x2 call. Most of us like what we have. Mine's short, sweet, and easy to remember. The main point that's been made is that there are more extras who want 1x2s and 2x1s than there are available. There are only so many letters in the alphabet. The FCC can't make or release any more 1x2s or 2x1s - mathematically there are only 4082 per call district.

I don't know what could be done to change the system. The only thing I COULD see is preference within a call district but even then, people do move.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn