ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Power Question

Oct 26th 2018, 18:26

W1JCR

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I haven’t done much operating for several years, but I still have my gear and antennas and want to get active again. In any event, I have a Yaesu 990 with a Mosley 33-JR. When I decrease and increase my power level, the internal power meter and an external power meter starts to dance. I don’t seem to have the issue with my Yaesu 767. I’m wondering if its caused a serious RF problem or if something is wrong with the radio.

Thanks,

Joe
W1JCR

Oct 29th 2018, 12:19

AI4BJ

If you are adjusting your power level while you are transmitting, your ALC may be getting confused. If everything becomes stable once you stop adjusting your power, I don't think I would worry too much about it.

Mark AI4BJ
Oct 30th 2018, 08:35

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

I have an FT-990. Mine does the same thing; the power output jumps around wildly when adjusting that control. The RF Power Output control is intermittent, like a dirty volume control. This is certainly to be expected from a 25 year old transceiver. I've never tried giving it a shot of contact cleaner, or know if it can be cleaned up.
Mar 27th 2019, 14:32

KE0ZU

you might try continuously rotating the pot from end to end VIGOROUSLY ten or fifteen times, and see if that solves the problem. Like anything else mechanical, that hasn't moved for fifteen years, like slide switches, rotary switches, card edge connectors, and tube sockets.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn