ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

How to handle excess cable

Dec 10th 2018, 11:59

N0GQA

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have a situation where my end-fed antenna needs at least 50' of coax to work properly per the manufacturer, but I only need about 25 feet to reach the connector to my station inside. Coiling the excess is obviously the answer, but how? A circular coil acts as another balun and that may not be good. Should the circle be compressed in the middle to form a quasi-figure 8? Thanks for any suggestions/hints.
Tom Nelson, N0GQA
Feb 15th 2019, 12:06

W4CWL

Maybe buy a few toroids and coil the coax to create an awesome RFI trap?
Jun 18th 2020, 20:05

KC5AFD

Gosh, wouldn't it be nice if an experienced Elmer came along and provided a glimpse into the vast amount of knowledge they have on this topic. I would sure be interested as well.
Jun 19th 2020, 13:17

W1VT

Super Moderator

The manufacturer is being honest about the feedline often being part of an end fed antenna. But, unless an experienced ham has played with that exact same make and model, it is unlikely that a ham would be able to tell you what you want to know.

You may have to experiment to figure out what will work for you.

I have two dozen antennas in my back yard, which means it is far too crowded to do any testing for you,.

Zak Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn