ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Kite antennas and static buildup

Jan 16th 2019, 16:03

K2FI

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I'm looking at the possibility of using using a kite to hold up one end of an EFHW. The full setup will be an LNR MTR3b, about 15 - 20 feet of RG-174 coax with a BNC to RGA adapter at the rig, and the EF-MTR antenna. The antenna is 66 feet long, and assuming I use the longer coax it would give me a maximum height of 86' straight up (obviously it will be far lower since a kite isn't likely to go straight up)

One thing that I've found is that I should be concerned with static electricity building up in the antenna and that I should use a resistor to bleed the excess. What I *can't* find in exactly how I'm supposed to do that. Where and how does this get attached?

(Yes, I know it's probably in the Handbook, but my copy of the Handbook is currently in another state and I don't expect to be able to get it until April)

Jan 16th 2019, 16:27

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.ad5x.com/images/Articles/Static%20Bleed.pdf

A transformer used for impedance matching may provide a DC path to bleed of static.

Zak Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Jan 16th 2019, 18:55

K2FI

So basically just a resistor going to ground from the outside of the BNC on the antenna feed point? That's pretty simple.

TU

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn