ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Power Line Noise

Oct 23rd 2011, 22:38

W6GUN

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hello,

I've been having power line noise for quite some time. As it became unbearable, I called PG&E and the culprit, a pole with transformer, bell insulators, etc., was noted by PG&E. My question is this: I was told that it would take 3 months for the linemen to replace all the components on the pole. I think 3 months is rather long to wait for repairs. Am I being unreasonable or is this typical?

W6GUN/Mike
Oct 26th 2011, 14:31

W1MG

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
From what I've seen, it depends somewhat on the situation. For a typical case, the following sentence appears in an FCC advisory notice to a utility, "The FCC expects that most cases can be resolved within 60 days of the time they are first reported to the utility company."

In cases that require a transmission line shutdown, the FCC has allowed for air-conditioning season to end. Similar cases involving more difficult repairs might include replacement of specialty hardware, an abnormally high number of repairs in the area, widespread damage resulting from storms and so forth. These situations are generally looked at on a case-by-case basis.

In your case, I note that they are replacing all the hardware on the pole. For the typical situation, this is generally not necessary. They may also not be able to pinpoint the exact source of the problem on the pole. If so, they may have decided to replace everything, which may contribute to part of the delay.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn