ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

FMJ antenna

Jan 21st 2020, 15:48

jimvw57

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I purchased an Alpha Antenna portable antenna, The FMj model for home and cabin use. I figured the portable feature would work out good. Been thrilled with the operation and the ease to setup and take down the antenna. Unfortunately it doesn't handle wind gusts as nicely as I would like, and has blown over a few times. The aluminum antenna has developed a problem with where it threads into the coil. it has about 1/2 turn of threads left and it is quite fragile. The base of the mast looks to be a 3/8-24 coupling and I am wondering if it can be removed and replaced. Not sure how it is attached to the aluminum mast
I have tried to contact Alpha Antenna but have not gotten through to them yet. I would like to use this for a QSO event this weekend, and I guess I will drill the coupling and install a Heli-coil insert to make new threads.
Anyone have a better idea?? thanks

*** keep in mind that this was not a defect, but the result of winds blowing the antenna over. It should have been better secured before the winds hit. **
Jan 25th 2020, 00:01

jimvw57

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
No replies so here is what I figured out.
The guys at Alpha antennas are in Puerto Rico working with earthquake recovery efforts.
The 'coupling' at the base of the aluminum mast is actually made of brass. I drilled it and used a Heli-coil that I shortened to fit, seems to be working just fine now.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn