ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

DirecTV TVI

Nov 2nd 2011, 14:13

K9ZU

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Recently, I made the mistake of asking my next-door neighbor if he has ever experienced any problems with my fairly QRO HF station, 160-10M....

My attempts to be a good neighbor have deteriorated.

He has a recent DirecTV install, which I can trash with as little as 50W, let alone a KW. He appears to have a properly terminated ground block, but so far hasn't let me have a look at his equipment roster. I have read the forum for amateur interference with respect to DirecTV and DishNet, and suspect that the current line of DVRs and other such devices are shoddy when it comes to front end overload and desensing from almost any source north of DC, frequency-wise.

I certainly didn't expect to start WW3 with the guy. So far he hasn't seen fit to even imagine I have any grounds for not being QRT.

Anybody else in my boat?

George Hollis, K9ZU, Brunswick, MD
Nov 3rd 2011, 18:51

K1ZZ

George, I have been a DirecTV customer since 1994 and have had no interference problems while operating every band from 1.8 to 432 MHz. -- Dave Sumner, K1ZZ
Nov 4th 2011, 00:34

W0RSB

I've had Dish for about 10 years and until this summer my vertical was about 20 feet from the dish without any interference with me operating from 40 through 10. I do run only 100 Watts though. I was originally worried about frying the LNB, but that didn't happen either.
Nov 8th 2011, 13:39

N0NB

The only interference I've experienced with my DirecTV has been to the TV or stereo. I bought it "way back" in 1996 and do my own installation. I had to replace the original RCA receiver almost three years ago as the old one was failing and I've not had any problems with the new receiver itself. I run 100W or less and my doublet runs right over the dish and receiver, about 15 feet above them.

Maybe the best advice I can give with regard to RFI is to NEVER ask the neighbors if they have any. Doing so opens the radio amateur up to blame for everything at any time. Too many people will take a scapegoat when it's offered.

73, de Nate >>
N0NB.us

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn