ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Any reason to have a Serial Port on a new Computer?

Feb 21st 2020, 11:05

W1VT

Super Moderator

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Do your rigs have USB ports? If so, you may not need a serial port for anything. But, only the latest generation ham gear is really USB compatible; you may find it useful to have serial ports to accommodate older gear. It is also possible but much less convenient to use serial port adapters They may have a nasty habit of changing COM port numbers.

Zak Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Feb 21st 2020, 11:05

WA2FTV

Hello Everybody,

I am in the process of purchasing a new computer.

I am wondering everybody's opinion if I should request a serial port. The computer with have USB ports.

Thank You for your input in advance.

Best Regards and 73's,

Cedric
WA2FTV
May 15th 2020, 18:12

pamam

It is very unlikely to be able to get a laptop with a standard serial or parallel (printer) port these days. With USB, WIFI, internet and Bluetooth connectivity there's no reason for them. Only hams and DIY people that want to talk to serial or printer ports, such as myself, need them. The easiest way is to go with Arduino boards and usb connections to them. I'm in the process of trying to get a DDS board to work from my laptop: Arduino allows you to write code in their IDE or from a Web-Based IDE which programs the Arduino to run an IOT device such as a "DDSBoard" frequency synthesizer i.e.
Arduino's web editor is here https://www.arduino.cc/

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn