ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Antenna for a Yaesu FT991a Transceiver

Sep 24th 2020, 13:10

KJ7PVJ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I am a new Ham operator. I passed my Tech License test a month ago and have been using my HT on VHF using local repeaters. I have been enjoying it so much I have decided to work on my General and build a ham shack. What a learning experience this has been and I have NO friends that are Hams (although I joined a local club, Voice of Idaho.) I have just received a big pile of equipment including a ZeroFive 30’ Flagpole (HOA restrictions in my neighborhood) antenna and a Yeasu Ft991A transceiver (along with power supply, tuner, radial wire, coax, and related stuff.) I will be putting my Flagpole up this weekend and starting to put everything together.

MY QUESTION: I need an antenna for 6m, VHF, and UHF as my needs for the other bands will be covered by the ZeroFive Flagpole. I have spent a lot of time on DX Engineering looking at antennas that will cover these bands but no easy solution is obvious to me. I assume the the 6m, VHF, and UHF will be covered through the second antenna port on the radio (CORRECT.)? I assume that when using these bands I can cover it with a three band antenna like a V2000A. This antenna requires a Triplexer MX2000. I don’t understand how this Triplexer would be hooked up to the FT991A, assuming I use the VHF/UHF antenna port (Correct?) If the multiplexer was not a required item I would have assumed that I could use the VHF/UHF antenna port. I could just get a UHF/VHF antenna and forgo the 6m but I prefer to not limit exploring this band, although this would be a more straight forward approach.

In summary: What antenna would you recommend or use for covering the 6m, VHF, and UHF bands? Is the 6m band covered with the UHF/VHF antenna port? How would you connect the three band antenna to the FT991A?

Thanks in advance. I can already see that this new hobby will be a long and expensive journey. Any knowledge or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sep 24th 2020, 13:25

W1VT

Super Moderator

Page 25 of the manual describes the ports. One connector is for 2M/440. The other is for 6M/HF. Yaesu assume you are using a dual 2M/440 antenna and a 6+HF antenna. You could use a diplexer to split the HF/6M port into separate HF and six meter ports. As well as another diplexer to split 2M/440 from six meters. But, this is a rather convoluted and expensive approach.

If you live in an HOA it may be best to proceed slowly and not rush to put up antennas.

There is a lot to learn about operating all the HF and VHF/UHF bands. You may want to learn about one facet before moving onto another.

That said, I put up a 4 el 6M beam on a 20 ft mast and was able to work 56 countries this summer using the digital mode FT8.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Sep 24th 2020, 13:40

KJ7PVJ

Excellent suggestion and I thank you very much. As far as a VHF/UHF antenna, I was leaning towards a Comet GP3. Do you think this would be a good start for me?
Sep 24th 2020, 18:06

W1VT

Super Moderator

Someone local would be able to tell you whether that is enough or whether you may benefit from having a better antenna.

Eham.net has a product review section that can be useful in finding out if an antenna has issues like poor instructions.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn