ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

ZS6BKW build

Dec 13th 2020, 23:05

jimvw57

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Ok so I am working on building this antenna, got both wires at the correct length, added the ladder line and coax, the tuning is off the scale. It may be possible the ladder line is too long, it had tape on it saying it was 39 ft long but that may not be right. Seems a lot longer than that. also I have a looped up section as it seems too long, does that affect my swr readings?

I can only get it roughly 25-30 ft off the ground due to location problems. Could this be causing issues too? Trying to learn as I go...
Dec 14th 2020, 13:26

W1VT

Super Moderator

Yes, the ladder line length needs to be correct for the ZS6BKW to be resonant on the frequencies "as advertised." You can vary the coax length but not the window or ladder line length. Of course it is possible to tune the ladder line length for a particular installation.

Also, you should not loop or coil the window line. But, you can bring it away horizontally from the antenna, if the antenna is low. Cecil W5DXP would spiral his window line around a non conductive support rope.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Dec 14th 2020, 22:22

jimvw57

Ok, so it occurred to me that I did not measure the length of the ladder line, and it was much longer than I thought. I cut it back to the recommended length, straightened it out and antenna is now working as it should. Measure twice, cut once... Thanks!!!
Dec 15th 2020, 13:10

W1VT

Super Moderator

That is great to hear. Yes, you should never assume the length of a wire. Always measure before use. If you measured it years ago you may have cut some off for something else!

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Dec 30th 2020, 07:23

jimvw57

Been working well using an auto tuner, my latest issue was a squirrel that for some reason liked to chew through the cord holding up one end. We had a discussion and my flying pliers won. no more problems with that rodent!!

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn