ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Mobile Radios

Feb 9th 2021, 10:19

commstech1

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hi everyone!!

I'm a newbie to the Ham world. Currently studying for my technicians test but wanted to ask about mobile transceivers. My friends and I currently use a couple of Baofengs GT-3 to learn from but I was wanting to know if a mobile transceiver can be used with the portables as a repeater. We go to north florida on some land where I was thinking I could place the truck centrally and therefore extend my portables reach using the transceiver. Forgive me if the question is absurd. Like I said, I'm and excited about the possibilities. Thanks
Feb 11th 2021, 14:02

W9IQ

Yes it is quite possible. The technique is called "cross banding". It works by using a suitably equipped mobile radio that listens on one band (e.g. 2 meters) and simultaneously retransmits on another band (e.g. 70 cm). By using different bands, the need for expensive and bulky duplexers is avoided.

The FCC rules require that the cross banding radio issue identification just as all amateur radio operators must. So look for a radio that is capable of automatically identifying by sending your call in CW on both bands.

I have a Kenwood VM-71A that meets all of these requirements that I enjoy using for cross banding. I have had it out for ARES training (emergency communications) and it does a great job.

Good luck with your test - study for the General test at the same time to get many more privileges for just a little extra work!

- Glenn W9IQ
Feb 16th 2021, 13:38

commstech1

Great info Glenn. I really appreciate your response. Can you study and test for both or is there a waiting period to test for the general after passing the technicians?
Feb 17th 2021, 00:26

W1VT

Super Moderator

It is possible to take and pass the exams for all three license classes in one day. Good luck!

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Feb 17th 2021, 11:21

commstech1

Thanks Zak. Seems like a tall order but what the hey.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn