ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Field Day back to it's roots

Feb 25th 2021, 12:25

daveinlex3@gmail.com

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Lots of comments in the FB groups about how Field Day has been massively corrupted from it's original intent. Although limiting PEP is a very small step in the right direction, allowing the use of permanent home stations is still a perversion of it's original intent.
Many, including myself believe permanent home stations should be prohibited entirely from participating. In 13 consecutive ARRL Field Days and 6 consecutive Winter Field Days I have seen a major shift in the amount of home stations on the log. 75% of my logged contacts from WFD in January were home stations and almost 70% of the logged contacts last June were from home stations. Yes I understand Covid19....but that has NOTHING to do with the intent of Field Day. Lots of people just disconnected from their house power and permanent antennas and set up in their yard or garage and used a battery pack and temporary antennas....that's perfect as it's still within the spirit of the event.

Can ARRL rethink their ruling and prohibit fixed, home stations from participating in an event that's specifically stated by ARRL as recent as 2017 that it's an event designed to set up and functional communication station where one doesn't currently exist. Home stations DO NOT remotely fit in that definition.
Feb 25th 2021, 14:38

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

Winter Field Day is not an ARRL event. Here's the group that sponsors it and makes the rules: https://www.winterfieldday.com/

ARRL Field day is an ARRL event. If you feel strongly about a needed change of rules, please feel free to contact your division director. There is no one at HQ that makes the rules; they are made by a committee of volunteers.

The purpose of Field Day is to be prepared for a natural disaster and to exercise skills in passing messages under difficult conditions (in the field) for the benefit of the public. For those at home, have a plan for getting on the air during emergencies, when there is no commercial power available.
Feb 26th 2021, 00:05

daveinlex3@gmail.com

I'm aware WFD is not an ARRL event. I'm also aware of the intent of Field Day hence the name of the original post.
I was not aware the no one @ ARRL makes the rules for field day. I have contacted my division director.
What's the purpose of the forum section on the ARRL website if not to discuss ARRL sanctioned events?
Feb 26th 2021, 09:19

W1VT

Super Moderator

I think it is up to ARRL members to decide the purpose of the forum. It is up to each individual to decide whether or not they wish to participate.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Mar 3rd 2021, 11:35

AI4BJ

In my opinion, the rule (during "normal" years) that prohibits contacts between D stations is a sufficient incentive to get people into the field. If more hams are choosing to operate from home, that probably has a lot to do with the increasing average age of active hams. Banning home operators outright from Field Day would be a big mistake. Participation needs to be encouraged, not discouraged.

[EDIT] I just checked the ARRL results database for Field Day 2019. Three quarters of all submissions were from non-D stations.

Mark AI4BJ

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn