ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

newbie - vertical whip antenna radiation

Feb 28th 2021, 13:38

KE0UQH

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I apologize for a basic question, but i'm having trouble wrapping my head around an issue. I was working with a couple VHF monopole vertical antennas. Out of curiosity I decided to mount both antennas horizontal. I noticed a huge loss in gain. Doing some quick internet searching, this seems like a well documented thing. However, I'm having a hard time understanding the "why", from a physics standpoint.

Both antennas were parallel to each other. The radiation pattern for a vertical whip is a donut, so I can understand why you lose gain when they aren't parallel to each other. However, when they are parallel I wouldn't think the gain would change if both antennas maintain the same polarization.
Mar 1st 2021, 05:06

W1VT

Super Moderator

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
The mounting of vertical whip antennas is critical as the mounting surface typically acts as "the other half of the antenna.." Verticals should work reasonably when horizontal if mounted on the side of a large metal surface like a refrigerator.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn