ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Transmitter at base of tower?

May 3rd 2021, 17:51

WU6I

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Does anyone have experience installing a 2m/440 (or similar) mobile rig (specifically the transceiver hardware in a black box) with the control head running to the ham shack? I've always wondered why the big 3 radio manufacturers don't promote this model. This would minimize the need for expensive RF cabling and minimize loss. Certainly broadcast transmitters are always located as close as possible to the antenna and radio stations mostly operate their transmitters by remote control. I envision a waterproof housing at the base of the mast. Have a licensed electrician run power to it, with it's own circuit breaker. To avoid all the messy control head cables and microphone line loss, presumably you could communicate to the transceiver through a wifi control head or an app on your PC or smartphone? What am I missing here?
May 4th 2021, 07:53

W1VT

Super Moderator

It may be that the designers who work for the "big 3" all live in Japan, where housing is much different compared to the USA.
May 4th 2021, 07:55

W1VT

Super Moderator

It may be that the designers who work for the "big 3" all live in Japan, where housing and ownership of cars is much different compared to the USA.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn