ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

'T' or 'F' - "If you hear 'em you can work 'em"

Jun 7th 2022, 02:30

xof7fox

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I hear with some frequency, what to me seems to be opposing 'true-isms,' and would like help with how can both be true?
Thank you in advance for your time and your thoughts....
What I am calling the common 'true-ism' are as follows:
1. "If you can hear 'em you can work 'em."
2. "It is much easier (i.e., requires much less 'power.') to hear than it does to successfully broadcast."
Regarding "1.," there are many times on VHF using an HT that I can hear repeaters or simplex and I simply lack the power to "work 'em." Same with HF (though, repeaters are seldom 'part of the mix.' : ).
Again, thx,
Fred. K4XXK.
Jun 7th 2022, 12:27

W1VT

Super Moderator

Repeaters typically transmit with more power than an HT.
Repeater receivers are typically located in locations with plenty of transmitters. I recall Mt Equinox being home to 150 transmitters, including a FM broadcast station!
Jun 14th 2022, 17:54

xof7fox

W1VT ~ Thank you. Would you say that, therefore, "1." is generally not necessarily True, and that "2." generally is True?
Jul 14th 2022, 12:11

xof7fox

W1VT - Still hoping to hear from you.
Jul 14th 2022, 13:54

W1VT

Super Moderator

These days there are a ton of variables that make it difficult to generalize what you can expect. One idea may be to visit the repeater site and listen to ascertain their noise level and strong signal issues. A repeater put up long ago may not have the front end filtering needed to deal with signals far away from the
duplexer passband as services have changed. For instance, broadcast TV now operates on different frequencies than they did before the switch to digital.
I used to go to Mount Equinox that had 150 transmitters but have not been there in twenty years to see what has changed. Most ham gear would not operate properly without extra filtering back then.
This blog illustrates the difficulty duplexers can have
http://ka7oei.blogspot.com/2017/09/when-band-passband-reject-bpbr.html

Zak W1VT
Jul 14th 2022, 15:03

xof7fox

Thanks Zak. Confirming receipt. ~ Fred.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn