ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Membership WITHOUT QST

Nov 29th 2011, 16:25

KU5Q

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I want ARRL membership without QST.

Is it possible.

Recently requested cancellation of QST only, but membership was also cancelled.

Nov 29th 2011, 19:36

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

We currently do not allow membership without QST as per the bi laws and the information printed in the publication being relevant to membership. In June we will be offering a digital version of QST for members to access, this will accommodate these members who do not want QST print delivered.

Amy

Amy Hurtado, KB1NXO
Circulation/Member Service Manager

Posted by Bob Allison, WB1GCM Test Engineer
Dec 7th 2011, 03:37

W1RFIAdmin

Even if ARRL were to offer a "QST-less" membership, it is not likely that this would provide substantial savings. The cost of producing QST, and more, is subsidized by the revenue that advertising in QST produces. If there were a non-QST membership, it would not benefit from the money that advertisers pay to fund ARRL programs and services, so it would be very likely that such an offering would have to cost the same as a QST-based membership.

The only price you have to pay to have QST advertisers pay for some of the membership benefits and ARRL programs is to allow the postal service to deliver the magazine to your home (or elsewhere if you choose). Without that revenue, if ARRL were to maintain all of what it is doing now, membership would be much more expensive.

My IEEE dues annually are over $300. They do not accept ad revenue, at least not at this time.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab
Feb 17th 2012, 01:50

W7PEA

I heard you could phone in, say your blind and they won't send you QST.

I just renewed because the Handbook is free right now, but I live on a sailboat and as a full time maritime mobile using a mail handling serice, receiving magazines is an expensive process. Can't wait to see the online edition go live so I can switch over!

I might even be willing to pay a buck or two for an iPad edition!

Thanks,
-p
Jul 7th 2013, 03:50

NS5B

I also want an ARRL membership WITHOUT the QST magazine. If you subtract the $15.00 for the magazine, then the QST-less subscription should be $24.00. Could even round it off to $25.00.

Maybe its time to revise the bylaws? And if the information "printed" in the publication is "relevant" to all members...then how do blind members get this relevant information? Their membership is $8.00 with no QST. So in MY opinion...and probably 1000's of others as well...paying 3 times that amount with no QST would be more reasonable that being forced to pay the full $39.00 and not have a choice as to whether we wanted QST or not...and you are losing revenue by not offering another pricing alternative.

I know $39.00 for a yearly membership and a magazine doesn't sound like a lot to most...and it may not be...but if you belong to several organizations with yearly dues (The IEEE in your case)...they start to add up quickly...then it WOULD start to make a difference. And I'm not a marketing major...but I believe in most cases...advertisers pay a flat rate regardless of how many issues are printed. I could be wrong on this point as they may be billed per issue sold. I don't have that information.

I prefer not to receive the magazine either printed or digital. $24-$25 a year is better that $0. Don't you think?

Quote by W1RFIAdmin
Even if ARRL were to offer a "QST-less" membership, it is not likely that this would provide substantial savings. The cost of producing QST, and more, is subsidized by the revenue that advertising in QST produces. If there were a non-QST membership, it would not benefit from the money that advertisers pay to fund ARRL programs and services, so it would be very likely that such an offering would have to cost the same as a QST-based membership.

The only price you have to pay to have QST advertisers pay for some of the membership benefits and ARRL programs is to allow the postal service to deliver the magazine to your home (or elsewhere if you choose). Without that revenue, if ARRL were to maintain all of what it is doing now, membership would be much more expensive.

My IEEE dues annually are over $300. They do not accept ad revenue, at least not at this time.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn