ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Kite Antennas

Jan 8th 2023, 21:42

WB7AGN

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
A QST article years ago about a 160M vertical is what got me interested in kite antennas. I've had a little experience with them during POTA activations, but more failures than triumphs. The challenge is always so many moving parts (kite string, transmission line, transceiver controls, etc.).

Here's my question: assuming all other factors are equal, would an antenna attached to a kite (like a Hamstick dipole, for example) be a more effective radiator than a long wire kept nearly vertical from the ground to the kite?

The W6KOA ("Kites On Air") QRZ page list one of their antennas as a 20M horizontal dipole, fed by lightweight coax. Let's say the kite that was carrying the dipole was 100' up in the air. Would that arrangement radiate the signal more effectively than 100' of wire lifted by the same kite straight up (and also properly grounded.)

Thanks ahead of time and 73!

John, N7AGN
Jan 9th 2023, 13:17

W1VT

Super Moderator

https://www.qsl.net/kk4obi/EFHW%20Sloping.html
The author provides an 4NEC2 model that can be modified.
As well as a variety of antenna plots for a wide variety of non-standard antennas.

Typically, verticals work best if the tip is kept below 5/8 wavelength.
Otherwise the pattern breaks up, creating high angle lobes that typically aren't useful on bands higher than 14MHz.
Jan 9th 2023, 15:46

WB7AGN

This is helpful, thanks! I do remember reading that there is a point of diminishing returns for vertical wire lengths.
Mar 15th 2023, 15:10

KN4ZXH

I can certainly see using (depending on the location and weather) a kite to elevate a 2 meter roll-up Slim Jim in an emergency situation. I'm a semi-retired Fire/EMS volunteer and modern communications mandated by state and federal agencies (not just fcc but nfpa & DOT-EMS) go down along with infrastructure. In our part of eastern North Carolina hurricanes usually bring lots of rain, tornadoes, downed trees & service poles, and serious flooding. It's the major reason why I got licensed.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn