ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Strange antennas

Dec 19th 2011, 02:46

W5IPA

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I am gathering a history of strange / fun homebrew antennas, I am most interested in wartime setups but all stories are welcome. Please include name, call sign and current . W5IPA@ARRL.net
Dec 22nd 2011, 16:20

AB1GL

Seawater column antenna
When I first joined NARL, the Newington Amateur Radio League (the local repeater club, not the national association), the first meeting's guest speaker was touting a do-it-yourself antenna made from a column of saltwater. New to the hobby and not having an engineering background, this sounded amazing to me. Later some old timers at the club took me into their confidence and assured me this was an April Fool's gag and the antenna was little more than a "dummy load." I thought it was a pretty good gag.
Years later, I saw a video by SPAWAR System Center Pacific, purportedly a defense contractor with a pending patent for an antenna made of a stream of seawater pumped through a magnetic inductor. Darned if they didn't demonstrate that it worked, both as a jet of water in open space, and confined in a plastic tube. They claimed it worked on HF, VHF and UHF by adjusting the length of the water column. You can find it if you Google "seawater antenna." I still don't know if this is real or an elaborate gag. But it sure falls in the category of "strange antennas."
--AB1GL, George Lillenstein, Manchester, CT
ab1gl@arrl.net
Dec 25th 2011, 23:37

W5IPA

Ionic Fluid Antenna (IFA) - this is my next one! I'm building a 20 meter vertical. It is the real thing!

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn