ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Proper way to tune the Hustler BTV-4

Jan 2nd 2012, 17:11

N3MOW

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Searching the available literature and a call to the manufacturer reveals two distinct methods for correctly tuning the Hustler BTV-4.

The BTV-4 is a four band vertical (40,20,15 and 10).

The manufacturer's instructions say to shorten/lengthen each section as needed to bring the band to resonance. Tune the highest band first then work up to the others.

Others say do not cut any aluminum, adjust the traps instead. They provide instruction on how to do this. If the antenna is not tuned in this way it will not perform up to design specs.

My antenna is ground mounted above 20 25' radials arranged in a 360 degree pattern. The radials are burried 2" below the ground.

My antenna was tuned by shortening it. The SWR is good on all bands. New_Tronics says this OK and make no changes in the system.

Others say restore the cut off portions and replace the radial field with tuned radials. Essentialy start over.

I'd like to know which approach is correct. If there is an Elmer out there who would like to help via e-mail, just let me know in your response.

Thanks
Jan 2nd 2012, 22:51

W1VT

Super Moderator

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0

You aren't going to get any significant improvement in your antenna by tuning it a different way or switching to tuned radials.

If you want a better signal, you could add more radials, though this will often narrow the SWR bandwidth of your antenna, by reducing ground losses. Tuning isn't particularly important with buried radials, though it could be useful if you were using a much different setup--just a few elevated radials do benefit from an equalization of currents.

Reminds me of taking the wrong route to the airport--I got there anyway and caught my flight--once I got to the airport I had no intention of driving back home just so I could take the correct exit.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn