ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

ATT UVERSE Interference

Jan 8th 2012, 17:59

WA2EXZ

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I just recently had ATT Uverse installed at my QTH. Guess I should have done more research before making that decision. I am seeing RFI into the Uverse system when I operate 20 meters. I have cleared up most of the TVI with Split beads on one of the tv box coax lines. I am still seeing interference on the Internet line and can shut down the internet activity with less than 2.5 watts from my QRP battery operated rig when on 20 meters. As I read posts on the WEB RFI into Uverse seems to be common. Most of the posts seem to be dealing with interference on 160 or 80 meters though and not 20 meters. Has anyone experienced interference with Uverse. Does anyone know what the specs are for Uverse internet DSL lines being installed locally? (Carrier frequency etc.?) Anyone have any ideas on where I could get that info or where else I might POST for more info?

The configuration I have is a large Box mounted on the back of the house… the att lines come into that box and then it splits out the cable, phone and DSL lines. Power is supplied from a power supply with Battery back-up with-in the house. We have 3 TV boxes….. one of them being the DVR. The dsl line goes to a 2wire router (Wi-Fi and 4 hardwire ports). Telephone and DSL come into the house via old existing telephone 4 conductor cable (RED, GREEN, yellow, Black). Cable comes into the house via coax to a splitter.

I eliminated most of the interference in the TV by winding 4 turns of the coax at one of the boxes through a toroid. I also added a couple split beads to that same line. I do still get a little tearing in the TV picture at 600 watts … 100 watts is now fine. It is only happening on 20 meters (across the band) . With any power at all (less than 2 watts)I loose DSL temporarily while transmitting. It recovers with-in 3 to 5 seconds. I have an 80 meter loop that I use on 20 and a 2 element beam … both antennas cause the problem.

The power level causing interference is so so low I am worried the DSL carrier is running at or close to 14 MHZ but I can’t verify. I am hoping I can get this fixed but have heard of a couple cases now where att couldn’t or wouldn’t fix the problem and De- installed Uverse at an amateur’s house.

I'm looking for Ideas on how to eliminate the RFI. Looking at ideas on how to approach ATT. Does anyone know what the ARRL Stance is for ATT Uverse?

Thanks for any help... 73 Bob WA2EXZ
Mar 20th 2012, 07:45

wc5b

I have very limited issues with my Internet getting kicked when on 80M. This I think is due to it running very close to that coax coming into the house. I am hoping that moving the entry point into the shack apart will help, or maybe shielding the CAT5 of the Uverse line better. That being said, it will not sway me to change back for ANYTHING! I love Uverse. It has been a great product for me. Quality of service, customer service, and rapid on site repair. Totally satisfied. Hope you figured your problem out.
May 12th 2016, 17:07

W5SU

I need to know whether things have gotten any better with regard to the compatibility of ATT U-verse routers with ham radio. I had a Pace "2Wire" gateway box for U-verse installed several years ago, but problems required me to get it removed and revert back to DSL. I now need faster speed and ATT tells me my only option is to use U-verse.

The problem was that every time I got on 40M with even very low power, I locked up the Internet connection, TV set, and all devices controlled by the router. After the technician made many attempts to remedy the problem, I was able to find info on Pace's website that said the gateway box may not work in the presence of baby monitors, CB, Ham radio, or radio signals from 4-9 MHz.

ATT is telling me that they now offer a different Pace or Motorola (Arris) router.

Does anybody out there know whether the RFI problem still exists?

Many Thanks and '73!
Carl - W5SU
May 13th 2016, 23:00

aa6e

No recent experience here. (In CT, ATT has dumped its service onto Frontier FWIW.) But I had lots of problems like yours until I switched back to our cable service, Comcast. Comcast delivers up to 175 Mbs to us (and even more if you want to pay a big premium). There is zero interaction with ham operations. So if you've got a cable internet provider, that's probably the safest way to go.

73 Martin AA6E
Jan 16th 2019, 12:09

AC6BW

Quote by W5SU
I need to know whether things have gotten any better with regard to the compatibility of ATT U-verse routers with ham radio. I had a Pace "2Wire" gateway box for U-verse installed several years ago, but problems required me to get it removed and revert back to DSL. I now need faster speed and ATT tells me my only option is to use U-verse.

The problem was that every time I got on 40M with even very low power, I locked up the Internet connection, TV set, and all devices controlled by the router. After the technician made many attempts to remedy the problem, I was able to find info on Pace's website that said the gateway box may not work in the presence of baby monitors, CB, Ham radio, or radio signals from 4-9 MHz.

ATT is telling me that they now offer a different Pace or Motorola (Arris) router.

Does anybody out there know whether the RFI problem still exists?

Many Thanks and '73!
Carl - W5SU

I had AT&T replace my old Pace U-Verse modem/router with an Arris NVG589 model. Now I can TX on 40m with 600W, and it does not disrupt the internet. Looking at the router statistics, it does generate some FEC errors during that time, but the errors are recoverable and the internet does not go down. The Arris router was hard to find. The installer said that there are not many more available.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn