ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Confused about LotW

Apr 20th 2013, 20:47

K2ADK

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
LotW is designed for people with advanced degrees in computer technology. I have a Master's degree in educational technology and work with both Windows and Linux networks; thin clients and boxes. Yet I find myself wanting to see how effective my sledgehammer would be in helping me to load my certificate file in TQSL (Linux).

I dual boot Win7 / Linux Mint, and am loathe to use Windows unless a gun is to my head. LotW is that gun. I use my CQRLOG program, export the QSO list to an .adi file, move it to the Windows partition by mounting it in Linux as a drive folder, then restart the computer, log into Windows, locate the .adi file, and upload it to LotW. Restart and back into Linux Mint to continue using the computer.

I fervently wish there were a simpler way to do it, if only because it would make confirming QSOs that much easier for so many hams. Better yet, woudn't it be nifty if QRZ.com had something that allowed us to upload logs and confirm QSOs that way? Maybe ARRL and QRZ should work together.
Nov 18th 2013, 03:42

N5PHT

I have 52,559 qso and 13,921 confirmations. So I guess that is about normal rate.
Nov 18th 2013, 11:57

N4AAB

Putting files into a database is very easy. Software/php that compares standard files should be fairly easy.

I haven't used LotW yet, I'm still working on getting and antenna for my hf rig, but I will try it.

Any software should have a well written document on how to use it.

Does one exist for LotW ? It should be written on a high school reading level. Advanced degrees shouldn't be necessary.

When I get the chance, I'll check into LotW and make a post about how it went. My Bachelors degree in applied computer science shouldn't be neccessary.
Nov 18th 2013, 12:10

N4AAB

I've read the documents/pdfs. They aren't very readable on a laptop. I'll try later today using my desktop/39 inch monitor.

What I did read seems clear. Digital certs aren't too difficult to deal with.
Dec 30th 2013, 23:15

N4AAB

I downloaded the software, used it to request a digital certificate, waiting for my post card.
Jan 7th 2014, 22:42

N4AAB

Got the postcard, typed in the info, got my certificate. Added it to TQSL program. Working easy so far.

I did notice that the station location edit didn't go to next after I entered state and county. I had to go back one Next button, then go forward Next button to get to state and county a second time. Then the next button to complete station location to finish up became available.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn