ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

antenna tuners with a TS-430

Mar 31st 2012, 00:20

skidwayrph

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I would like to know which external antenna tuners can be connected to a Kenwood TS-430S? Also how is an external tuner controlled from inside the shack?

Don Blough KD8RBW
Apr 2nd 2012, 16:02

W1VT

Super Moderator

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0

SGC, MFJ, and LDG make external tuners that can be used with the TS-430S. But, you need to first reduce the output power, as you don't want to subject the finals to the rapidly changing load at full power. There are two ways of doing this--one is to manually reduce the output by turning the carrier control down. The other is to electronically reduce it via the ALC circuit.

http://qrp.kd4ab.org/2004/040106/0061.html
QRP via ALC on TS-430S
But, you have to be careful with ALC circuits, as I've read that some TS-430s have ALC (automatic level control) issues.

A modern autotuner just needs a steady carrier to tell it to tune up--ideally, it would be just a couple watts until tuner is finished--then the radio would go to full power.

Folks have designed interfaces so that you just need to push a button and their circuit will do the rest, but I haven't seen one for the TS-430S.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn