ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

High Voltage power lines

May 1st 2012, 21:09

N0LD

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Introduction: I am in the process of relocating to the Wentzville, MO area. I am searching for properties that aren't in a homeowners association. One of the nicer properties - 4 acres plus, no home owneers association, out buildings, close proximity to work, etc has one negative - a set of power lines run through the area about 300 feet north of the property. There currently are not many trees in the area - so my thoughts are - buy it and put up some fast growing poplars and silver maples along the north property line and through the yard to make the power lines relatively invisible from the front....

Hypothesis: I've been told by a few hams that I trust that the REALLY high voltage power lines don't have much problem with RFI on VHF/UHF due to dirt/dust on the insulators. (Ostensibly they are too high up to get dirt from local roads on them in sufficient quantities to cause carbon tracks on the insulators.)

Questions:

1. Does anyone have any personal knowledge about these high voltage power lines (the "H" kind) and RFI?

2. Does anyone have anything to add about RFI on VHF / UHF / or HF in relation to high voltage power lines?

Thank you!

Randy Wing, N0LD

May 1st 2012, 22:01

aa6e

There's nothing like the experimental method. Why not go there with a portable rig and check the noise level? Sounds like you're only interested in VHF+. Power line issues are generally worst on HF IMO. Maybe you'd want to do HF in the future. I would expect HV lines to always have some corona discharge which will raise your noise floor, even if their hardware isn't malfunctioning.

I was looking at a nearby retirement facility, which is very fine in many ways, EXCEPT it has a big HV line running straight through the property right over some of the buildings. Not a good sign!

73 Martin AA6E
May 11th 2012, 00:59

N9AAT

Like AA6E I've never seen problems from HV lines in VHF, or even on HF, but there's always a first. HF noise is already high enough from all sorts of sources, which is why we don't worry that much about receiver sensitivity. I've worked a lot of RFI issues but so far none involving high voltage transport lines.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn