ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Record Keeping

May 9th 2012, 18:02

KF7VHY

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I am a new Tech. I do not recall anything be said in the lessons for my license about keeping records. Is there such a requirement? Thanks.
May 10th 2012, 03:04

aa6e

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
There is no requirement, but most serious operators keep a log book -- either the traditional paper kind (see ARRL store) or a software log using one of the many programs that are out there.

Why? To keep track of your activity on different bands, who you've talked to, which states and countries you have worked, etc. It's a valuable personal record, and you really need it if you go after Worked All States, DXCC, or similar awards. (Not to mention contesting, where logs are required if you want to get credit.)

Another good reason to keep an accurate log is so you have something to point to if a neighbor accuses you of making his TV go kablooey at a time when (as you will be able to show) you were not transmitting!

All that said, it depends on your operating style. If you're mainly into chatting through your local repeater, I don't think most of us keep logs of that sort of operating -- at least I don't. But I remember the good old days when I was getting into VHF FM while mobiling on the LA freeways in the 70s. I kept an ARRL "minilog" going, adding some extra thrills to the commute.

73 Martin AA6E

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn