ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

ARRL mail forward problem.

May 22nd 2012, 23:40

WB7OUT

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I can not get my arrl mail forward to work, the box to opt in is checked. I also changed the forward email address to different account and it still does not come through.
Any help please.

Thanks

Tom, WB7OUT
May 23rd 2012, 12:43

W1VT

Super Moderator

Hi Tom,

I sent a test message yesterday and it presumably got there--I didn't get a bounce from our email server. The most common error is to address the mail to @arrl.org, rather than @arrl.net.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
zlau@arrl.org
May 24th 2012, 00:04

N6AJ

I to have this problem n6aj@arrl.net
May 24th 2012, 01:00

W1VT

Super Moderator

Hi Terry,

Your forwarding address is set to n6aj@arrl.net. It should be set to one of your email accounts.

Another misconception is that the ARRL supplies email accounts to members--email accounts are provided to HQ staff who need an account to correspond with members.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Apr 17th 2013, 12:11

WP2XX

I've now tried the forwarding with three different email addresses with no success. I have tried every suggestion searching ARRL.org has provided. Thanks for any help!
May 1st 2013, 21:18

KA0MVK

I have also been having problems with email sent to ka0mvk@arrl.net. Not all of it is getting through. I have now had verification from two different people over the last several months that they sent an email to that address yet I never received it. One of them did get some kind of bounce but I do not know what it was. The one today happened within the last hour, and so far no bounce has been received. I also have Yahoo! Groups sent to that email. I am getting things sent from there but in pretty low volume. I checked and it does not show a bounce since 2011.

One thing I thought, is maybe the spam filtering and DNS checks are catching some of the emails. If I have the option, I'd like to have my alias changed so it just send everything to me. I have it sent to a Gmail account, which handles the Spam in a good way that I can still review for false positives as needed. I would rather get the junk than not get an important email like today (I'm working with a recruiter to get a job).
May 2nd 2013, 00:13

KA0MVK

Hmm, three hours later it shows up. What doesn't make sense is the email took only 3 seconds to go from the job recruiter's mail server to gmail. It looks like it was held up by there server, but when she sent directly to my gmail account, it showed up there within seconds of her sending it (no sitting on their email server).

If I need to, I can make my own thread.
May 4th 2013, 03:46

K0STK

Quote by KA0MVK
Hmm, three hours later it shows up. What doesn't make sense is the email took only 3 seconds to go from the job recruiter's mail server to gmail. It looks like it was held up by there server, but when she sent directly to my gmail account, it showed up there within seconds of her sending it (no sitting on their email server).

The only way to know for sure what happened is to see the complete message headers (especially the Received: headers).

Please contact me at k0stk@arrl.net if you would like me to take a look at that problem message.

--
Steve K0STK
May 7th 2013, 02:21

KA0MVK

Not sure that it matters now, since there was an official announcement about hours-long delays in the email system just the other day.

It still appears to be happening, because I watched someone send an email to me from their computer at about 5pm Central time. It's now over 4 hours later and I have not received it yet.
May 7th 2013, 13:44

K0STK

Quote by KA0MVK
It still appears to be happening, because I watched someone send an email to me from their computer at about 5pm Central time. It's now over 4 hours later and I have not received it yet.

I've seen round trip times as short as 50 seconds when sending test messages to my @arrl.net address. Today I saw a round trip time that was a bit longer; a little over 6 minutes.

The delay occurred because an SMTP delay when my border mail-server tried to deliver to the ARRL mail-server. Here's the relevant extract from my logs (I've altered the hostnames/addresses):

2013-05-07 12:50:07 1UZhGT-000Lkd-3W SMTP timeout while connected to
neeyzk1oe.rqtrav.arg [aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd]
after initial connection: Operation timed out
2013-05-07 12:50:07 1UZhGT-000Lkd-3W == k0stk@arrl.net R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp defer (60):
Operation timed out: SMTP timeout while connected to
neeyzk1oe.rqtrav.arg [aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd] after initial connection
2013-05-07 12:52:25 1UZhGT-000Lkd-3W => k0stk@arrl.net R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp
H=zk1.neey.arg [aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd]
2013-05-07 12:52:25 1UZhGT-000Lkd-3W Completed

The delivery times and mail servers are also visible in the Received: headers in each message. Most mass market "e-mail clients" make these headers difficult to view, but they are there.

A delay of over 4 hours is not surprising when you understand the SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) retry mechanism. What usually happens is that a mail-server will schedule a couple of delivery attempts at 15 to 30 minute intervals and then start increasing the delay geometrically each time there is a further delivery failure; the maximum retry interval is typically between 6 and 12 hours.

So if a message is not delivered within the first hour then the next retry will be a 2 hours, then 4 hours, etc., until the message is 96 hours (4 days) old.

--
Steve K0STK
May 7th 2013, 18:45

wa6nmb

My email forwarding of wa6nmb at arrl dot net doesn't seem to work. The first time I tried to test, I tested from my regular personal address (the gmail.com address that my arrl.net address is forwarded to). I saw in the FAQ that you need to test from a different email account. I'm not sure why that is, but I complied and used a different (att.net) account. Still haven't seen my test message come through. I've only waited about 20 minutes though. I assume that att.net, arrl.net, and gmail.com are all well connected and would rarely incur long delays, so I'm beginning to think something is wrong other than email congestion delays.

I'm back editing this message. My test email did come in, it just took 32 minutes to get through. Seems like it was "stuck" for about 1/2 hour at arrlscan5.edgeni.net .
May 8th 2013, 16:33

N4AAB

Over 80 percent of all email sent through the Internet is Spam. That can slow down all legitimate emails.
May 10th 2013, 02:11

3000057395H80

I've not gotten anything for several days now, including multiple test messages from other email accounts. It's pretty frustrating.
Jun 17th 2013, 18:23

KE4DRN

Same problems as others have posted.

TIme for ARRL to dump the contractor and use Gmail,
our university did that and it was the smartest move.
Jun 18th 2013, 20:23

KA0MVK

Quote by KF5VPK
Over 80 percent of all email sent through the Internet is Spam. That can slow down all legitimate emails.

That may be, but I've done tests by sending through my arrl.net forward and direct to the email account it sends to, the direct method ALWAYS happens nearly immediately (not more than a couple seconds transit time) and arrl.net takes noticeably longer (never less than a minute), with arrl.net forwarding intermittently taking a half hour or more at the last non-arrl.net email server (which is waiting on arrl.net to accept it).

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn