ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Digital QST Survey

Digital QST Survey
Please login to vote!
Sep 8th 2012, 02:14

KB0HAE

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hi. First of all I will say again that I do not think copying of qst would be much of a problem. Arrl has always encouraged members to pass along their print copies of qst when they were through with them.

Most forms of DRM punish legitimate purchasers of content. I never said that digital qst should be freely copied! But I do very much believe that it should be available in formats that are much more convenient for members than what the arrl has chosen. Open formats are best as they are easiest to download, store, and access from many devices. As it is, I can access digital qst on my computer. It is very cumbersome and inconvenient to navigate.

My 7 inch tablet can access the web version but the text is too small to read even at the maximum text size allowed. God help anyone who wanted to read it on a smartphone! My Kindle ereader cannot access any version.

While I have appreciated qst, it has never been the main reason that I joined arrl, and remained a member for many years.

I may reconsider remaining an arrl member, but it will take considerably better arguments than I have seen to change my opinion that the way arrl has chosen to implement digital qst is a huge mistake. Digital qst could be published via Amazon in Kindle format. This would make it available on most devices. I would pay a reasonable fee to be able to get qst this way. And if non-members choose to pay that fee to suscribe, thats more income for arrl to use to benefit Amateur radio. Kindle documents can be read on devices other than a Kindle via free software released by Amazon. The documents cannot be read on non-Kindle devices without this software.

I know that some members would object to paying an additional fee. However this could be offset if arrl would allow a lower priced membership without printed qst for all members that so choose.

Technology makes it possible to have more choices in how we access information. When technology is used to un-necessarily restrict access, I consider that a misuse of technology.

Sep 10th 2012, 15:39

K0STK

Quote by AI4BJ
I'm happy with the digital QST. I still prefer reading my print copy, but its nice to know that I don't have to keep storing back-issues any longer.

What if nxtbook goes out of business? How will you access back-isues?

What if ARRL decides to move to another publishing platform? Will they be able to afford to migrate the back-issues from nxtbook?
Sep 12th 2012, 14:19

KB0HAE

Good Questions! Using an open format would solve any such problems as well as others.
Sep 14th 2012, 20:54

N0NB

Once your membership ceases so does your access to the NXT Book QST archive. With paper or downloaded PDF files, you have them until they are destroyed, ARRL member or not. So long as paper is available, I will continue to receive it.

The animation and sound to simulate flipping pages are an absurd frill. The grayed area toward the "binding" area of each page makes text in that area difficult to read. Yes, I now have reading glasses so I have become more sensitive to things done intentionally that reduce my reading pleasure.

Remove the junk and paginate the copy so a single sheet is across the width of the screen without having to jump back and forth between zoom levels, it may almost be as usable as a generic PDF reader which abound. The only reason I'll bother with the digi-QST is to see what was left out of the print edition now.

I have a feeling we're being dismissed as a small group of rable. So be it.

73, de Nate >>
N0NB.us
Sep 24th 2012, 00:16

AI6PG

I prefer PDF. Adobe Air is not currently supported under Linux.
As for DRM, we would likely get more members into the hobby and club if we made the online issue available for free.

Peter AI6PG
Oct 31st 2012, 17:34

K4AHO

Tried it on my Desktop and Laptop, Works but not impressed. Tried it on iPad and it looks good, but I don't do Apple. Tried the Kindle Fire and Fire HD. Works but Kindle operating system does not seem completely compatable with the Digital QST format.. Any comments? Does anyone have a suggestion for an Android device that works well with QST's Digital format?? I am looking for a device that stays close to the real paper format (height to width). Not necessarily the same size but same ratio.

Jim
K4AHO
Nov 9th 2012, 18:17

N1OFJ

cumbersome to use...I will stick to the print edition. Hopefully, a format change is around the corner
Nov 11th 2012, 03:20

k2ui

Adobe Air was a very poor choice. Air is cumbersome, proprietary, and no longer supported on Linux. Unless QST plans to activate the e-edition with Flash and Ajax web apps, Air offers nothing over PDF.

How about DjVu?? It has better quality at much higher compression levels and is open and widely supported.

Nov 29th 2012, 00:57

n6jyx

Lets be real here. PDF is the only way to go.
Dec 27th 2012, 20:14

AC8QD

I understand the competing needs of availability and DRM, but I think if QST is going to publish digitally, they should stick with a wider, longer-term platform like PDF. Acrobat has added several new DRM features that should be able to satisfy QST's needs.

For example, since you must be logged in to download it, the downloader can digitally sign the PDF with your name and callsign, discouraging unlicensed distribution.
Jan 6th 2013, 04:01

ZL2JM

I renewed my membership prior to the introduction of the digital edition of QST but I have been severley disappointed with the outcome. I thing the didgiatal edition is one of the most bloated, slow to load pieces of software I have ever encountered. Unfortunately, I wont be renewing my membership for the coming year.
Jan 21st 2013, 18:47

KD2CLA

I was happy to see a digital version available. Tried it and it was only 'okay' too hard to work with on a 7 inch android tablet. Then I thought it would still be worthwhile to download it for off-line reading. Downloading is not an option on my andriod... So I downloaded it on my desktop, all 175 megs of it, for one mag?... I can't even use the file and yes, I do have adobe air installed.

This 'air' format is rediculous and more than just a waste of space. Thank goodness for the real print magazine! I suppose I'll just never bother with the digital version again unless they switch to a more reasonable format such as pdf...
Jan 25th 2013, 22:38

N4AAB

I prefer digital pdfs. I can carry them with me. DRM books I have purchased have my name and email address on each page. Runs fine on my ereaders and home computer running vista. I have a linux computer, haven't tried it on there yet. Maybe this weekend.

Having two pages side by side, on my 39 inch television/monitor is a pain to deal with. One page at a time please.

Jim
Jan 27th 2013, 19:25

N4AAB

I found the single page setting for viewing online and after download. Its the tool box.

But even with a downloaded, and installed, issue, it doesn't keep the single page setting. I have to do it for every issue I have downloaded and open for reading.

Evidently there isn't a way to save the view single page setting.
Mar 17th 2013, 20:48

W7GSM

Digital QST is useless on a 7" Tablet running Android Ice Cream Sandwich! Dec issue was un readable Current issue refuses to load. Fortunately other magazines/periodicals NOT supported by NXTBOOKS work fine. I presume.they were the lowest bidder, though you did pay someone to build an Apple app.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn