ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Digital QST Survey

Digital QST Survey
Please login to vote!
Mar 18th 2013, 16:06

aa6e

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
QST works fairly well on my Nexus 7 tablet with Chrome and latest Android. A 7" screen is never going to be great for a full page view, but digital QST is still useful. It would be a lot better if QST had an alternate flowed-text view for Android, like Nuts & Volts, Linux Journal, and others.

73 Martin AA6E
Apr 5th 2013, 19:34

wb4alm

I have to agree with some of the comments above.
1) My primary and secondary computer systems are linux based. Regardless of what some people may think, :FLASH" on Ubuntu 12.10 or 12.04 is NOT stable under firefox, and there is no solution for it yet. (Problem first reported in November 2012.)
2) I have IOS based devices, and QST is totally unreadable there as well--- the print is way, way to small. (If you really want to have fun, try reading it on an iPhone. By the time you finish any article, including the letters to editor column, you will have no idea what the material was about, especially after flicking your fingers to expand the text to a readable size - not to mention pure page navigation.)
3) I do have a windows XP system available to me, running under VirtualBox. Eventhough I have multiple monitors, I have not been able to find a way to span monitors with Windows under VirtualBox. Under VMware, it would span monitors, but VMware no longer functions...
4) I, too, would prefer that QST be available under PDF, but understand why ARRL might not want to do so at thjis time --- primarly DRM rights.
5) When I first heard about the digital QST, I expressed my opinion about LINIX support - and was promptly ignored.
6) And before anyone thinks that I and some others are against "anything new", I'd just like to say that I have been in "Information Technology" for more than 50 years!

73, Bill wb4alm
Apr 11th 2013, 23:52

VK4APN

The Digital version is fine for computer viewing BUT the print quality obtained if you want to print out an article is very poor quality. Actually it is worse than very poor. Similar to 10th generation photocopy, barely usable.
Apr 15th 2013, 15:09

WB2NZO

I have a laptop with windows; downloading and installing AIR was very long and laborious; downloading and "installing" a specific issue was also long and laborious; and then after all the work, I go to open the issue and it asks me for my username and password. At that point I deleted all my QST email notifications, the present digital contents I downloaded, Abobe AIR and I was about to cancel my membership but decided to see what other Hams think. This "note" (for now) is the result.
Apr 15th 2013, 17:39

aa6e

@VK4APN: What setup were you using for printout? There are many combinations of operating systems, printers, etc.

My experience today with Windows 7 and an HP 8400 printer was not too bad. Printing from an "installed" (downloaded) app was good. The text showed some artifacts of resampling, which made it rather less attractive than the print version, but still legible and useful, in my opinion.

Printing from the Flash website (online) was a bit worse, with text being underweighted (less bold) than normal. Photos and schematics were still pretty good.

I have the 2012 ARRL Publications CDROM. Printing the same article from the CDROM PDF gives excellent results - a printout that is identical with print QST, at least up to my printer's capability.

The moral is to use the PDF for best archiving and personal reprinting of articles. The problem is that it's priced rather high for members who have already paid for the QST content. You have to wait until the CD comes out, but you do get QEX and NCJ in the package.

73 Martin AA6E
Jul 30th 2013, 10:00

VK3DAP

Using IBM compat PC and Windows XP.

I think QST + AIR is a disaster.
(1) why not use industry standard .pdf files?
(2) AIR is slow
(3) since AIR upgraded to latest version, I can no longer login to read downloaded QST files.
(4) and once I have downloaded them, why do I have to login every time I want to read them?
Kevin
VK3DAP / ZL2DAP
Jul 30th 2013, 16:00

KL0S

I agree with Kevin - once I've authenticated my download I SHOULD be able to read my issues without having to sign-in to the application again. Understand the DRM issues but we've gone too far...just out of curiosity if a member lets their membership expire does that mean they have no access to issues of QST they paid for??? Doesn't make much difference to us Life Members.

Dino KL0S
Aug 25th 2013, 15:56

N7KFD

Just my .02, I have read the digital version of QST via my Nexus 7 and it ran just fine. I have a subscription to CQ Magazine and they use Zinio which also works just fine in fact I do not plan on renewing my paper subscription to CQ when it expires and go strictly digital. I would like to see QST on Zinio as well but I'm being selfish and would prefer both subscriptions on one app. A debate on what digital format to use for QST seems pointless to me, it's almost like a code no-code debate. I'll read the magazine on whatever format it becomes available on and be happy with it. With that said, I enjoy the magazine and will continue to read for years to come.
Aug 26th 2013, 19:55

KB0HAE

The extremely poor decision that arrl made for the format of digital qst, along with other counterproductive and just plain wrong policies (like championing un-attended Winlink stations, promoting contests that make it very hard for nets like MMSN and damn near impossible for rag-chewers to operate etc...) are making me heavily think about not renewing my ARRL membership this year. We need an organization that is responsive to its members, not an organization that puts its own agenda ahead of the wishes of its members. It is becoming very clear to me that arrl no longer gives a crap about what is best for its members or Amateur radio, it only cares about keeping the $$$ rolling in. Therefore I will not be renewing my membership.
Aug 27th 2013, 01:51

K6DMB

Of course I wish the digital QST was in .pdf, but I don't have any problem reading it in it's current format.

As for leaving ARRL because of various issues with digital QST, forum, website, contests, etc., I personally believe it is more effective and beneficial to stay in the organization and try to effect change from within. I have expressed my views to various officers and board members via email. Some don't respond, some respond with "get lost" formats, but a few respond positively. It's the few that respond positively that will make the necessary changes and we should find and support these officers and board members. Even if they don't necessarily agree with my perspective, I still appreciate the response and open debate.
Aug 27th 2013, 15:20

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

"As for leaving ARRL because of various issues with digital QST, forum, website, contests, etc., I personally believe it is more effective and beneficial to stay in the organization and try to effect change from within."

Thank you so much for expressing that. From what I have observed here, the Board of Directors try to satisfy as many members as possible and they need as much input as possible from its membership. With such a diverse hobby, it's very difficult to please every member, so they go with what the majority of the membership wants.

For those in the audience, please remember the ARRL is a not-for-profit organization. It's purpose is to preserve Amateur Radio and serve its membership the best as it can. Yes, revenue must be raised, but it is just enough to cover the cost of publication, and the many, many services the ARRL provides, including lawyers who go to bat in Washington D.C. on the Amateur Service's behalf. What other Amateur Radio organization will do that?

I do work here, but I'm also a member. I just happen to be a member with a better view of what really goes on at HQ. Everyone in this building is dedicated to Amateur Radio. Our thousands of volunteers associated with are organization are equally dedicated, including our volunteer President and Board Members. Staff and volunteers are not the entire organization; each member is part of the organization. I recommend each member, as much as they can, volunteer for an Amateur Radio related activity. You will feel good about giving back to the hobby and you'll be less likely to worry about what your $39 gets you.

If you are not happy with your (unpaid volunteer) section director, you are free to nominate, campaign and vote for a new director.

BTW, the ARRL only sponsors two HF phone contests a year; Sweepstakes and the International DX Phone Contest. The other is Field Day, which is not a contest, but an operating event. We cannot help it if other groups want to hold contests and we do mention other contests in QST since a large portion of our membership enjoy contests.

The performance of Amateur equipment we use on HF has improved greatly thanks to the competitiveness of Radio Amateurs. Manufacturers keep improving their products so they can have "bragging rights" when their equipment excels during contests. All HF operators benefit from these improvements!

Bob Allison
WB1GCM
ARRL Laboratory Test Engineer
Aug 28th 2013, 01:30

NS5B

I had a question along the same lines as Dino.

If a member pays the $39.00, they will get a full year membership, and 12 issues of QST to read them whenever they choose. If 5 years later, they want to read a back issue, they have it available to read...again...whenever they like. Even if they are no longer a member.

My question is: if a member opts out of getting the "printed" version of QST, and wants the DIGITAL version of QST only, it still cost the same and they also get 12 digital issues for their $39.00. BUT...if 5 years later, the same digital QST only member wants to read a back issue...and happens to NOT be a member at the time...what happens to the digital QST that they PAID for?? If you have to log in to read them, do you still have access to them if your not a member, even though you WERE when you received them? If not, WHY?

Thanks, 73
Steve - NS5B
Aug 28th 2013, 02:29

WA2CWA

Quote by NS5B
I had a question along the same lines as Dino.

If a member pays the $39.00, they will get a full year membership, and 12 issues of QST to read them whenever they choose. If 5 years later, they want to read a back issue, they have it available to read...again...whenever they like. Even if they are no longer a member.

My question is: if a member opts out of getting the "printed" version of QST, and wants the DIGITAL version of QST only, it still cost the same and they also get 12 digital issues for their $39.00. BUT...if 5 years later, the same digital QST only member wants to read a back issue...and happens to NOT be a member at the time...what happens to the digital QST that they PAID for?? If you have to log in to read them, do you still have access to them if your not a member, even though you WERE when you received them? If not, WHY?

Thanks, 73
Steve - NS5B

When you become a member of ARRL, you get a number of benefits, including the membership journal in print and/or digital form. You're not buying a subscription just to QST. In 5 years, if you're no longer a member, your entitlement to any member benefits, current or past, should be null and void.

If you get the digtial edition now, you do have the option to save the entire monthly file to your desktop.

Pete, wa2cwa

From the Join ARRL/Renew Membership Page:
As a member of the ARRL, for as little as $39.00 per year, here are some of the benefits you will enjoy:

QST Magazine – your monthly membership journal
Online Services –
QST online monthly digital edition
QST Archive and Periodical Search
Product Review Archive
Email forwarding
E-Newsletters – delivered to your inbox
A voice in the affairs of ARRL and ham radio through locally appointed volunteers
Publication Specials and on-line course discounts
Emergency Communication Services
Technical and Regulatory Information Services
Operating Awards
Ham Radio Equipment Insurance Plan Available
Outgoing Foreign QSL Service
Plus much more!
Aug 28th 2013, 03:28

K6DMB

If one wishes to share their QST - hard copy or digital - there is always a way to do so. There is an option in the digital format to print a selection of pages. If one wanted to get a .pdf file of the entire issue, one would only have to go to the print and print all of the pages to a .pdf file instead of a printer. I also think the file saved to a desktop could also be shared. I suspect for many years before the digital edition was available, ARRL hams have copied and shared QST articles with non-ARRL hams.

I understand the answer WA2CWA provided to NS5B's question concerning access to old QST if a member leaves ARRL. However, when I downloaded the most recent QST to my desktop, it still required my ID/PW in order to view it. Are you confirming that my ID/PW would continue to allow access to my old desktop versions even if I was no longer an ARRL member?

PS, I have no intention of leaving but just wanted to clarify the issue.

Aug 29th 2013, 00:56

WA2CWA

Quote by 9V1DB

I understand the answer WA2CWA provided to NS5B's question concerning access to old QST if a member leaves ARRL. However, when I downloaded the most recent QST to my desktop, it still required my ID/PW in order to view it. Are you confirming that my ID/PW would continue to allow access to my old desktop versions even if I was no longer an ARRL member?

PS, I have no intention of leaving but just wanted to clarify the issue.

I didn't try it, but requiring ID info sort of makes sense to me although it means, I guess, you couldn't read them if you were off-line. I guess that would kill any non-member access. That's probably a question for someone at the ARRL that administers the digital version. In looking at the ARRL store, one can purchase a year's worth of QST and other periodicals (2011 and 2012 currently shown) on CD/DVD.

Pete, wa2cwa

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn