ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Digital QST Survey

Digital QST Survey
Please login to vote!
May 27th 2014, 00:10

K6PDGCA

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Quote by KE6FIS
Tried it-no joy. I'm with N0NB. Without Linux support--preferably with an open standard publication format such as PDF--it's unusable for me.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF:
"there are still some technologies used in ISO 32000-1 and other PDF files that are defined only by Adobe and remain proprietary, such as Adobe XML Forms Architecture, and Adobe JavaScript."

For a completely Free/Libre Open Source Software data format for publishing, I suggest making your acquaintance with OpenDocument.
May 27th 2014, 00:29

K6PDGCA

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Quote by AA6E
How will we access this material in 5, 10, 15 years?

To a retired professional programmer, such as myself, who tried to answer this question for my Engineering Department customers, this is the key question for any data that is valuable to a community.

The ARRL just celebrated its Centennial. Is any of the technical information available in any of the past issues of QST totally obsolete? Or do they, at least, provide an educational opportunity for new participants in the Amateur Service? We know how to conserve paper documents. Publishers of community knowledge need to judge data formats in light of the need of future generations.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn