ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Did You Watch Last Man Standing "WHAT"

Mar 19th 2013, 04:13

KB3SM

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0

"ABC Comedy Last Man Standing Episode 17"
It was disappointing in how Ham Radio was depicted.
This looked more like "CB Radio" and advertising for the equipment and the illegal Linear Amplifier shown. The average TV fan would assume that anyone could use these expensive radios to chat without having to type to their friends! According to the show, some of the writers/producers are Ham Operators and they know the requirements to become licensed. Being a 40+ year ARRL Life member, 20 WPM Extra Class licensed Ham, makes me wonder about the shows story line and how far they are going with it. Lastly, while Ham Operators enjoy the hobby, they also volunteer their services in disasters and various community events. KB3SM: a proud Old Ham...
Mar 19th 2013, 17:00

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

Dear OM,

Our main page had a news story back on March 4th that announced the airing of this show. The spokesman of this show, who is an active Radio Amateur, warned us about the way Amateur radio was presented. From our news story, Mr. Amodeo says,:

“As a ham, I am very excited to be able to have an episode that presents our hobby in an upbeat and positive way,” Amodeo told the ARRL. “As a television producer, I am pleased to present a very funny episode for our more than 7 million viewers. This episode will feature more ham gear than seen in mainstream movies such as Frequency, Contact and Super 8 -- all great films that had Amateur Radio in them. It’s worth noting that although hams will enjoy the episode, it was written with our 7 million non-ham viewers in mind. Please be prepared for some inconsistencies related to Amateur Radio, but enjoy the show nevertheless.”

I don't watch this show, since I'm too busy to watch television, so I can't comment on it. Wish we could come up with a show of our own, but we don't have the resources.

Bob Allison
WB1GCM
ARRL Test Engineer
Mar 19th 2013, 18:54

aa6e

As a retired geezer, I did watch the show. It was a 30-minute sitcom, what do you expect? Answer: not much when it comes to "important content" regarding amateur radio -- or anything else.

I noticed the "illegal" use of the radio by an unlicensed and unsupervised person, of course. It was irresponsible to say the least for a ham to leave his rig "live" in a house full of teenagers.

But I marveled at how the writers could weave radio and international QSOs into the plot in a very quick and (to the uninformed) believable way. I bet there are a lot of young people who now have a different impression of ham radio as an alternative to mindless texting, Facebooking, etc. It was artfully done, I'd say.

Not that I'm likely to watch again. I'm the wrong demographic!

If we had a "show of our own", I'm sure it would not get 7 million viewers.

73 Martin AA6E
ARRL Technical Advisor
Apr 3rd 2013, 10:34

N4AAB

I wouldn't expect a sitcom to be accurate about anything.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn