ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

amp on a ht

Jun 12th 2013, 20:08

Barre1951

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Can you put an amplifier on a handheld when in a truck or car? I am a new Tech KB1ZZB thanks.
Jun 13th 2013, 04:38

KB0HAE

Hi. You can use an amp with an HT. I have one that I got in a trade. Its 5 watts in, 40 watts out, FM mode only. I don't know how much these cost. It is probably a better option to get a mobile radio for your vehicle.
TTYL
Jun 13th 2013, 12:18

W1VT

Super Moderator

A mobile usually works better because it has a far better receiver. Your HT won't handle strong signals off channel--it is designed for low current consumption so you can run the rig all day off batteries. Loud signals will overload the receiver--strong signals will mix together producing intermod--fake signals that clutter the band.

Might not be a problem if you live out in the sticks where there are few loud radio signals of any kind, but for most us, strong signal receiver performance is an important issue. And, if the receiver covers frequencies outside the ham band, mixing of signals outside the ham band becomes an issue as well.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Jun 13th 2013, 17:46

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

If you end up using an external amplifier that has a preamp to boost received signals, leave the preamp off. Having the preamp on while traveling in metropolitan areas will make reception worse due to unwanted, false signals (intermodulation distortion). A mobile transceiver is best, but an HT can be used, provided you understand its limitations.

Bob Allison, WB1GCM
ARRL Test Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn